Multiple select for custom fields

Any update on this?
we talk this update for 2 years

1 Like

Hi, is there any update on this? I’m also wondering why New Custom Field Types was closed without an explanation? does this mean dev has stopped working on all 3 custom fields? or are we tracking each custom field separately?

1 Like

Currently, custom fields do not allow multiple options to be selected. It would be great to have the option to turn on “allow multiple selections” when setting up/editing a new field.

My organization is trying to track approvals on specific tasks, many of which require at least four separate approvals, and are not linear stages to go through (for example, Exec Approval, Marketing team approval, etc.)

Our current workaround is through tags, but tags are more complicated for basic users, particularly since the section does not show up unless a tag is already applied to the task.

1 Like

There may be other ways but as an option to consider you can set that project up with 4 different custom fields each with the same selection options of the different approvals.

Role 1: Custom Field 1 (pull down): Exec Approval/Marketing Approval/etc
Role 2: Custom Field 2 (pull down): Exec Approval/Marketing Approval/etc
Role 3: Custom Field 3 (pull down): Exec Approval/Marketing Approval/etc
Role 4: Custom Field 4 (pull down): Exec Approval/Marketing Approval/etc

As approvers come in they pull down and select the option in the next available slot to apply their approval.

Cheers!
Justin

This request already exist on the forum, you can use the search engine to find it.

They are coming New custom field types
Existing request Multi-select custom field?

Thanks for your help @Bastien_Siebman :wink: I’ve merged this thread with the existing #productfeedback thread we have on this topic (Multiple select for custom fields).

any update on this @Marie?

Not at the moment @Ali_Higgins, but I’m keeping a close eye on this and will make sure to keep you posted via this thread as soon as I have an update!

Hi there,
Recently we have been reworking our list view for our bug tracking in our asana board.
One thing I wanted to borrow from is a similar way to how github issues handles it.
In custom fields I can make a dropdown with options however this only allows one option to be selected.
On github you can basically select multiple options from a list of different ones.
Is there any possible way to set it up like this in Asana?

1 Like

HI @JamacanBacn and welcome to the Asana Forum! I’m afraid it’s not possible to select more than option from the main custom field on one single task at the moment, but I can see how handy this would be! I’ve gone ahead and moved your post to the #productfeedback to allow you and other Forum members to vote for this feature request!

2 Likes

Please add the ability to create a custom field with multiple choice, instead of drop down only.
This will be a major game changer for those who use Asana as information hub and management.

Thank you!
Ivan

Sorting, automation, export, forms, you name it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also looking into this in case we would like to move our workflow into Asana. This was one of the big reasons we went to Airtable, but definitely would love to come back to Asana and use this functionality

2 Likes

Any update on this? This seems like a pretty significant feature worth including. While I have been using Asana for some time, the rest of my department is finally on-boarding and they are finding this a significant pain point and are resistant.

2 Likes

Agreed with @Sara_Westland! Our team is hoping for this feature, so would love to hear an update on this.

3 Likes

This has been an open thread for almost three years. Currently, without multi-select custom fields Asana will not meed our content calendar needs.

2 Likes

Just discovered this issue and it’s a big miss from Asana’s standpoint. I wanted to use the Asana-created field for Content Channel for our Social Media management, but some posts are cross-posted and this will be super annoying not to be able to multi-select - especially for an Asana-provided field, let alone a custom field. Would love to have fields that operate like Tags.

2 Likes

This seems like a big miss to me too. It’s pretty basic functionality from a forms standpoint, and it’s been an open issue and promised for three years now. Latest update from @Marie was back in January?

1 Like

Hi @Josh_Burt, this request hasn’t been prioritised yet, but I continue advocating and keeping a close eye on this topic - I’ll update this thread as soon as I have an update on my end!

4 Likes