Lock Due Date

Hi, I’ve seen this topic come up in Tips and Tricks but not in the product feedback forum so I’m bringing it here, please combine with another thread if it already exists.

It would be great to be able to assign a task and lock a due date. This is essential for hard deadlines (ie filing deadlines with courts or the US Patent and Trademark Office) which absolutely cannot be adjusted.

8 Likes

Hi @Spratt_Consulting, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback.

While locked due dates aren’t available at this time, hopefully this is something our Product team can introduce in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

You are spot on! Trying to manage a project and the underlying deliverables is a nightmare if people can change due dates at will. Hopefully it will be anew feature in an upcoming release. How Asana made it this far without that critical feature is mindblowing.

Cheers!

1 Like

I found a similar post and the Community Manager stated:

Blockquote you can achieve this by setting the project permissions as comment only → Comment-only projects • Asana

That thread is locked and the information is incorrect.
A person that has Can comment rights and is assigned a task still has the ability to modify the due date.
snip

Our company is relatively new to Asana and if simple issues like this take years to resolve, we may be looking for another PM platform soon.

Any updates on this yet?
Locking due dates is so important to be able to monitor performance of teams/employees

1 Like

Please, Asana, add a due date locking feature!

It seems wild to me that this feature hasn’t been added yet. It is especially infuriating when working in timelines (which are so useful) because you can easily accidentally move a task and change the dates and then you have to look the actual deadline back up again. Please fix!

2 Likes

Hey, we need this feature too and will switch to Monday because of this… too bad asana is not changing it.

Yes! We need to ability to lock due dates! Seems like this featue has been talked about alot. @Rebecca_McGrath when can we execpt this!

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath - has their been any traction on this update? Locking due dates is something our team would REALLY benefit from as we grow and may need to move to a different platform if this is not an option.

2 Likes

I would be very interested in if there is progress with due date locking. I have many “projects” that contain hard set deadlines that I am not at liberty to adjust or miss.

1 Like

I agree. I found another thread that had this feature requested back in 2017. It had to do with access levels and rights. Really odd that the only two levels are “comment only” and “full edit”
Had my company known you couldn’t lock dates this may have changed our choice of software.

2 Likes

I was looking to see if this had been suggested before - would be very handy when project managing to be able to lock the due date.
Would love to know if people have work arounds - thought we could use a separate date field with true due date that I doubt people would bother to move?

The ability to maintain the deadline of the task while being able to fix the milestone is a desirable feature, don’t you think?

Does anyone happen to know another project management software with this feature?

Most of them are compatible except for Asana, that would be the answer.

This is so important for your company. May we know when it will be added to Asana? My team keeps changing the dates which leads to further confusion.

I agree with majority of commenters here. We need the feature to be able to lock due dates. It doesn’t make sense to have due dates if assignees can change them willy nilly.

2 Likes

Same here - we need to be able to lock due dates for certain tasks that cannot be moved.

1 Like