Keep collapsed sections collapsed when saved under "Save layout as default"

This feature would be very helpful and save wasting time scrolling past unnecessary tasks, please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Asana teamā€¦ If organization & clarity are key, it seems odd to not default a ā€˜collapsed viewā€™ to each section? Having to individually collapse every open section each time your switch between projects is an enormous waste of time. I canā€™t believe this isnā€™t a larger issue.

2 Likes

Confused. Collapsing everything than ā€œsaving layout as defaultā€ isnā€™t a thing yet correct? And if thatā€™s correct - does it need a certain amount of votes until itā€™s worked on, or when does it start to become a project for the Asana tech team to work on?

2 Likes

yes, I agree, wholeheartedly, we need a way to save the state of collapsed sections.

I donā€™t agree with merging two distinct requests:

1. This thread is in reference to saving the current layout as the default view (@Alena_Dagneau: Keep collapsed sections collapsed when saved under "Save layout as default" - #65 by chinarut)
  2. Another thread is in reference to just merely ā€œsaving stateā€ so it is the same when I refresh the page or come back later. I do not expect whether or not sections are collapsed or not be part of my ā€œdefault viewā€ (@Yoav_Crombie: Preserve section collapse state)

Does anyone agree these are separate requests?

2 Likes

Also requesting this. Our project lift is incredibly large volume, the ability to save the collapsed sections view would immensely help our teams.

Is there a projected timeline from Asana for this?

Same issue here as well
We have lots of sections and everytime I come into the project, they are not collapsed and I have to collapse them individually. Enormous waste of time.
It would be better (as a short term fix) to at least have a collapse/Expand all button until this is resolved.

2 Likes

When are we going to get an answer on this from Asana? Itā€™s been a year. 176 votes. Dozens of comments. At least show us youā€™re listening!

Yes, those are 2 distinct requests. In both this forum and also Asana development, halfway-subtle distinctions like this arenā€™t always recognized.

1 Like

Hi,

We currently have a project with over 500 tasks in it. Every single time the project is opened, Asana attempts to load every single task in the entire project causing it to slow down dramatically. Asana will then be even more slow when trying to scroll through through the project to where you need to go. The project is split into many sections, but by default all sections are expanded which is frustrating because we donā€™t need to see every single task every single time.

It would be very useful if you could set a set a section to stay rolled up by default - this would stop Asana from being as clunky when there are a lot of tasks in a project, as you could just expand whichever section you need to access and Asana would only need to load those instead of the whole project.

Currently no workaround for this as far as Iā€™m aware.

Cheers,

Sam

2 Likes

Hi @anon4313403, thanks for reaching out and taking the time to share this feedback!

We have a product feedback request related to this topic, Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your thread with: Keep collapsed sections collapsed when saved under ā€œSave layout as defaultā€ to centralize feedback.

I also recommend you following the steps in this article to try to solve the issue loading your projects.

I hope this helps!

+1

Emily, Iā€™m afraid you are missing the point. When you have a lot of tasks and every single section of tasks auto-opens when you load Asana you end up with this gigantic list of tasks which is unmanageable. The list page needs to remember which sections are open and which are closed.

3 Likes

+1

+1

Agreed. Such settings should be sticky per user, on a view by view basis, without the need to save them as default for everyone.

2 Likes

+1 to this request.

If itā€™s too hard, could you add ā€œCollapse allā€ button at least?

3 Likes

please add this. i keep having to go in to projects and re-collapsing sections. it adds friction which is the opposite of Asanaā€™s goal.

3 Likes

+100

1 Like

+1. Please, this would be a great add.

OMG, Iā€™m on a 1 month trial with ASANA and looking at this their ability to respond and even inform on what updates they are working on is atrocious.

I completely agree with the comments dating back years to be able to expand/collapse all sections and for the system to remember your preferences for each project.

Folders in Outlook have been doing this for centuries.

I can see this being a real hassle as am re-considering whether to continue with ASANA if this is the level of service and responseā€¦