Saving Timeline Layout With Collapsed Sections

I’m running into a bit of a confusing situation using ‘Save Layout As Default’ when coming to Timeline versus List view, and I’m not sure if it’s a bug, a deliberate choice, or something that I’m doing wrong.

In List view, when you’re working on a project with multiple sections, you can collapse sections with the triangle next to the name, and if you save the layout as default then they remain collapsed when you come back to that view or project. However in Timeline view, you are able to collapse sections to hide the tasks that are there, but even if you save as default, if you change views or leave and return, then the collapsed sections are expanded again.

Is there a way to make this work, or a solution that allows me to have the relevant section of a project expanded while collapsing the others?

To give context, I am working on a few projects for products, and each section are tasks that need to be done to consider a particular step ‘completed’ in the development. In List View I just have the current section expanded and everything else collapsed, so that it’s not too busy. However each of these sections and tasks inside the section have date ranges and due dates in order to give a better long term view of the development cycle, even though some are not yet relevant as we’re not onto that stage. I could go through and manually collapse the irrelevant sections each time to make it clearer, but this feels like a waste of time for something that works on another view in the way I’m using it.

I’m the project owner, and we’re on a Premium subscription, so if there’s something I can change elsewhere that might be relevant happy to do so.

13 Likes

Hi @anon21421801, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

At this time, it’s not possible to save your Timeline view with Sections expanded/collapsed. That said, I’m going to move this post to #productfeedback so folks in the community can upvote it and so our developers can get a better look at the needs of our members.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates!

7 Likes

Are there any updates on this? Our team runs multiple customer projects simultaneously and this expanded view is not only overwhelming but it also hurts the experience. Since the projects populate as you scroll it makes it almost impossible to jump right into editing a timeline - everything keeps jumping around.

4 Likes

Adding to the request here. It’s incredibly frustrating to have to manually collapse them all, especially when the page performance is so bad.

2 Likes

I want to add a “+1” to this feature request. For projects with more than ~10 sections and at least 5-10 tasks in each one, collapsing them manually is a hassle

1 Like

I want to add a"+1" to this feature as well. As I checked, this issue is raised about collapsing issue around 2021 but this item isn’t sorted till now.

1 Like

+1 to this request!! This would greatly transform the usability of our timeline projects.

1 Like

+1 to this request!! This would help our team tremendously as the timeline is still overwhelming to all and if they could see it in sections could allow for a better introduction.

1 Like

+1 again, this is so frustrating having to collapse everything. Even if there was a button to do this that would be fantastic.

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

absolutely needed feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes!! Please allow us to collapse sections and save them as default that way!! Very annoying to have to close them out every time we go back into the project.

1 Like

Big upvote on this, please. An Expand/Collapse all toggle would be also be very helpful.

I’m hoping/assuming it’s coming, as the ability to create and save different tabs of the List View with varied column organization and certain sections uncollapsed has been implemented (and has been very helpful).

1 Like

Still need this feature - would love for it to come soon since I’ve seen this request since 2020!

3 Likes

I found somewhat of a workaround to this, its still a bit clunky as it collapses Everything.
But i find it easier to just open the few tasks i am interested in rather than closing the dozens i am not.

Simply create a new bookmark and paste this in to the URL section:
javascript:(function(){document.querySelectorAll(‘.DownTriangleIcon’).forEach(function(element){ element.parentNode.click() })}());

Give it an appropriate name, like Collapse All, and add it to you bookmarks bar.

Then when you klick the bookmark it will collapse all sections that are currently loaded.

Hope some of you found this helpful.

1 Like