In My Tasks v2 List view, provide expand/collapse twisties for tasks with subtasks

In the new My Tasks v2 as of around April 2021, I was expecting to see expand collapse twisties next to tasks that have subtasks, just like is done for all other projects in List view, but none are there.

This is a really key feature to enable working with an extra level of subtask information (because the right Task Detail pane can now show either the parent or first subtask child). It’s particularly important not to lose this functionality in the one project (My Tasks) many probably work in the most.

Thanks,

Larry

9 Likes

@lpb, I’ve responded to you on the parent thead and will share your feedback with our team. If the subtask is assigned to the same person, I think this would work, but in the event it is assigned to someone else, I would find it confusing to have it in “My Tasks”. This might be why this project feature hasn’t been implemented in My Tasks. Let’s see what other folks think and if this is something our team can consider - @Emily_Roman, @Rebecca_McGrath or I will keep you posted here as soon as we have an update!

3 Likes

Thanks very much, @Marie, for this reply and on the other thread.

While I understand your point, I don’t feel there’s any greater confusion to supply the expand/collapse twisty.

Right now if you open the task detail pane in My Tasks you’ll see subtasks assigned to others, and certainly there’s no call to hide those.

And from a different perspective, when you’re in a regular Project List View (not My Tasks) and you click the expand/collapse for a task you’ll see subtasks–these subtasks have no membership to the project itself (only the parent task does) yet they’re shown in the main Task Lists pane as indented subtasks. That is exactly a corollary to my request for the same in My Tasks.

Making it easy to see the details of a task is expected to reveal contents that wouldn’t normally be found in the main tasks list view; in fact, that’s the whole point of looking within the task–because you want to see the contents of the task.

It’s an incredibly useful feature to have this in Project LIst View. Why would it not be the same in My Tasks where many end up spending even more time?

Thanks,

Larry

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Close Asana account

Similar to project view, please allow to expand/collaps subtasks in ‘my tasks’ view. Thank you.

6 Likes

@Robert_Pielanen, Could you vote over at:

and @Forum-team could you merge this post with that one?

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Done! :white_check_mark: Thanks @lpb

2 Likes

There’s a little drop-down arrow that normally shows up to the left of the task name in projects. You can click this arrow to expand all the subtasks without needing to click into the task.

It would be great to have this same UI on the My Tasks page.

This is useful for working through a list of subtasks quickly, where you can have the subtasks open on the left of your screen and then the details open on the right.

The alternative (when there is no drop-down) is to keep click “back” to the parent task to open the next subtask.

1 Like

@Justine_D, Please vote for:

@Rebecca_McGrath, perhaps this should be merged there?

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Yes! I wish I could upvote this 100 times. This is such a crucial user experience feature that would help My Tasks feel manageable instead of overwhelming. Please stop holding out on us!

A recent move to a new team where there are lots of subtasks being used has made me really dislike the way Asana functions in My Tasks - so much so I hate looking at it :sob:

7 Likes

Hello!

The option to have nested subtasks in My Tasks list view, when sorted to “none” like what is available in a project board would be an incredible feature!

Are there any workarounds for this?

This is a duplicate of my:

@Forum-team, can you merge?

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

I can’t believe this is still not implemented.

2 Likes

Mid August, 2022, and this is still not a feature.

Not all tasks with multiple steps warrant creating separate projects, guys!

This is driving me nuts, especially when I am assigned work by other team members and need to organize my tasks accordingly. Creating a Subtask on a Task in one section will just default to popping that Subtask at the top of the stack, in a completely separate section from the parent Task. This is the opposite of a productivity feature…

Please let us expand subtasks in “My tasks” like it is possible in every project.

but in the event it is assigned to someone else, I would find it confusing to have it in “My Tasks”.

I would not find this confusing. Image you’re the manager of that overall task. You are assigned to the overall task and if you expand the subtasks you can easily see which co-workers still need to add their parts to the overall task.

Hope this will be implemented soon! Love asana but this is a bit annoying.

3 Likes

This functionality exists in Projects themselves, but I use My Tasks to create my own work queue as well, and I have to dig in task details to see subtasks as there is no expand/collapse black triangle. It’s a QOL ask, but it would be great to have that work universally.

@Angie_Lawrence,

I agree and a while ago added a similar request so I’ve merged yours in with that one. If you have voted already your vote will transfer; if not, the please go to the top of this thread and vote there.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Agree with this request - surprised its not already a feature of My Tasks, would be extremely useful.

1 Like

Yep, this is a real bummer not to have. I just want to see all MY nested tasks but there is now way to do it.

PLEASE add this functionality, I am adding my voice to this request in hopes of it being seen and implemented. This will greatly improve my workflow.