Improved Zapier Functionality (For Project Creation)

Noticing a bunch of limitations within Zapier. For example, creating a new board, you can not select what type of layout you would like it to create, List or Board. I am trying to create an automation so that a new project is created as a board, but you can not select that anywhere.

Hello @abass,

Asana API supports project creation with the layout field as ā€˜listā€™ or 'board (if you not set this field the default option is list).

As far as I know, Zapier needs to update the codebase providing this option.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! Yep, I saw that there was the option in the API and I started going down the rabbit hole that is API integrations. I started seeing that there is an API Key route that you can take but Asana is actually degrading the use of API keys (it had the alert next to the key), so they support OAuth and others. I ran into enough annoyance trying to build a custom webhook request to create a new project that I just gave up and was hoping they would improve their Zapier integration.

It would also be incredible if they could also add the functionality to create a new project using a template now that templates exist. If I could have a zapier action be ā€œcreate project board with this templateā€ that would be so incredibly useful.

4 Likes

I would love the ability to select the project template as well! Or the ability to choose the template from an already created project in Asana.

1 Like

Iā€™m following this as we are wanting to automatically create a templated board project in Asana.

The trigger is when an opportunity gets converted to a project in our CRM - i.e. we win a project, Zapier automatically sets up a whole lot in our back-end - the only missing component is Asana.

1 Like

Iā€™m really surprised that there arenā€™t more comments on this thread and more votes to have this as a feature. It would save hours and hours of time to be able create a new project and select the template in Zapier.

Hopefully, this bumps for more votes and attention!!!

Hey Joshua, I totally agree, though they just finally created project via template creation through the native Asana API. So you can use Zapier if youā€™d like, but you have to use the ā€œWebhookā€ functionality and learn how to use the Asana API directly.

We have it set up to do exactly what we need it to do now. Definitely was a pain to get set up, hope they eventually add it to the native Zapier integration, but that may be why you arenā€™t seeing more action here. Because itā€™s now possible, though itā€™s just a pain and I like a few others have probably struggled through it.

Here ya go, might as well help you guys out after spending hours trying to figure it out myself:
https://share.getcloudapp.com/6a434938b63b/[5c0a597474e297d956037999f390d256]_Image%202019-06-10%20at%207.09.06%20PM.png

And then to authorize it, youā€™re going to have the following header with your specific API key after ā€œBearer [YOUR API KEY]ā€:

7 Likes

Oh man!

Thatā€™s super cool of you to share. Really appreciate it.

I was definitely hoping for a simple menu of my templates in Zapier but that may be off in the distance.

Thanks!!

You got it! Happy to help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @abass thanks for the great share above! Iā€™ve tried replicating this but get the following error:

duplicating_with_schedule_dates_requires_pivot_date

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Hey @paulminors - mind including a screenshot of the variable fields youā€™re passing over? Are you using the exact same variables I have listed, or have you added additional ones?

Would also be helpful to see one of the tasks you have in the template that you are moving over (preferably the most complicated one showing all of the data). My guess is that thereā€™s a conflict regarding the schedule dates (being ā€œschedule_dates.due_onā€ and ā€œschedule_dates.start_onā€).

Without seeing some screenshots of the data you are passing over itā€™ll be tough to debug as I havenā€™t gotten that error before.

This thread might be helpful in understanding all of the allowed variables:

Cheers!

Here you go. Iā€™m using the same variables that youā€™ve shown.

As for an example task, all of the tasks in the project are very simple and donā€™t even have dates or assignees.

CleanShot 2020-06-29 at 14.23.45

Iā€™ll bet thatā€™s the issue; for date-shifting to work, the tasks have to have dates to be shifted.

Ah! Adding a date to a task in the target project seemed to do the trick, thanks @Phil_Seeman

1 Like

This looks like it will perfectly address my needs, but as something of an API noobā€¦ is there something I need to do before creating the webhook?

The options available to me when using the ā€œWebhook by Zapierā€ option are very different to the ones Iā€™m seeing in the screenshots hereā€¦ Iā€™ve looked at all 3 options available to me, and none of them match.

So Iā€™m just trying to bridge the gap between what Iā€™m seeing on my Asana Premium account, and what you guys have generously shared here :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any guidanceā€¦ if the solution is too complex, Iā€™ll just keep manually creating my projects (like a loser!) until Zapier add the functionality out of the box!

Cheers.

The data field should exist once, if you simply press the + button below it to the right, you can add in more variables.

Choose Webhooks By Zapier and then ā€œPOSTā€, then you should be able to mirror whatā€™s in the first post.

Hope that helps! If not, you can share some screenshots :ok_hand::ok_hand:

Thanks mate, all I see are these 3 options in the attachment:

If I choose "Catch Hook (which includes the POST option) it gives me a URLā€¦ very different to the options in your version (ā€œhttps://hooks.zapier.com/hooks/catch/99999999999xxxx/ā€)

Youā€™re using the webhook option as the ā€œtriggerā€, when itā€™s supposed to be an ā€œactionā€. You need some type of trigger (say from your CRM, marking an opportunity as ā€œWonā€) to be the thing that triggers the action of the webhook, which duplicates the project.

You might want to check out a tutorial video on how Zapier works here:

Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ve actually got a lot of zaps & have used it for years :slight_smile: Just hadnā€™t used this webhook option before & obviously got myself confuddled in the process.

Cheers for the help!

Ah! Yes yes, the webhook is definitely a bit advanced, youā€™re ultimately directly interacting with APIā€™s when using it.

Highly recommend running more with it and playing around as it really opens up Zapier. Whenever thereā€™s a limitation on a Zapier Connector, you can often use Webhooks and figure out how to do something.

Really hoping Zapier improves their webhook functionality (e.g. allowing you to store keys/headers and the ability to re-use them and such).

Anyway, glad to hear youā€™re making progress! Once you nail webhooks, youā€™re sorta in the top % of Zapier users from a technical perspective, so good work! :raised_hands: