When will Asana have a zap "create project from template"!?!?!

Hi! How does Asana not have a zapier action “create project from template”?? When onboarding a new client, this would save SOOO much time as we could have the SOPs made with one zap, instead of having to build one zap per asana task, which will be reeealllly long. Any idea if Asana can get this done?

Hi Evan and welcome to the forum!

This capability was only added to Asana’s programming interface a few weeks ago, so it makes sense that it’s not been incorporated into Zapier yet. Probably best to inquire with Zapier about having it added there, since as I understand it, they control their Asana functionality, not Asana.

2 Likes

Thank you! Not sure what you mean…the ability to create project templates has been around for a while on asana? I can definitely email Zapier, but doesn’t asana have to be in on this or is this solely up to Zapier??

Yeah, it’s been in the web product for a while, but was only added a few weeks ago as something that can be done via the Asana API (Application Programming Interface) - the API is the only means for third party integrations like Zapier to talk to and manipulate Asana information.

Nope - because it’s an available function in the API, any third party can implement it of their own accord.

At the moment it seems so. See this forum thread for a little more context.

From that thread, it seems like Zapier is currently in charge of the integration; Zapier would be happy to have Asana take it over, but (at least of that writing), Asana didn’t have the resources to commit.

Hey @Jeff_Schneider, do you have anything new to add to the discussion of Zapier development and updating?

3 Likes

Hi Evan,

I wrote up a post here showing how to use the “Create Project from Template” from Zapier using the native API and Zapier webhook functionality:

While I too would love to see it native, Zapier manages the Asana integration (not Asana) and it’s already far behind and running into other issues, so I don’t foresee them adding new functionality to it anytime soon.

Please go and upvote this thread so we can get to Asana’s attention and hopefully change this:

Cheers!

1 Like

It would be really useful if ASANA would allow for Zapier to choose from Templates for the Create Project action. This is really a big gap for us and would go along way to easing our workflow.

Welcome to the Forum @Michael_Andrew1 :wave: and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us.

Since this is related to a Third Party integration and we already have a thread in the #integrations category, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread. I’ll recommend you to have a look at the previous comments. I hope this helps!

Have a great Monday!