Html code of description - paragraph don't start on a new line

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
I want to transfer the text of the description of a task via the automation tool Make (or Zapier) to a Google Doc. This does work, but the text itself doesn’t show the paragraphs, but puts everything in one big paragraph.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a step in Make where the content code ‘HTML notes’ is retrieved from the Asana task.
  • Link it to a creating a Google doc - with that content
  • Have a look at the document → no separate paragraphs

Browser version:
Chrome is up-to-date

Versie 108.0.5359.125 (Officiële build) (64-bits)

Upload screenshots below:

@frederik this is likely related to the third-party app you’re using and not something you can fix on our end. I’d recommend reaching out directly to Make support!

Thanks @Marie , I will check.

1 Like

Hi @Marie, I have reported this issue to Make and they have put in the investigation and quite a lot of testing and this is the conclusion from their side:

*Hi Frederik,

Thank you for getting back to me, and for taking the time to do some tests. That’s very helpful. I appreciate it. :blush:

Unfortunately, the tests clearly show that this is an issue from Asana with the

tag. It looks like everything else is working except that Asana auto-converts the

tag into a string value, and doesn’t recognize it as an HTML code.

As much as I would like to assist you with this, it’s beyond my capabilities to further investigate. You may want to also reach out to Asana Support Team to see if they have a substitute tag for

to create a new paragraph in the HTML code.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope I was able to point you in the right direction. Please let me know should you have any further questions and do not hesitate to reach out to us for help anytime.
Here’s the screenshot of what the string value looks like:

Thank you for looking further into this matter and getting back to me, I’d appreciate it.

@frederik,

Your first post said you were moving an Asana task description to GDoc.

Your latest post shows “what the string value looks like.” I see <p> tags in there. I don’t think those could be in the Asana task description because <p> tags aren’t supported; see:

https://developers.asana.com/docs/rich-text

Where did that text you’re showing come from? You seem to be saying that Asana is not interpreting it correctly but in your first post you’re exporting from Asana, not generating into Asana, so now I’m confused; why would Asana be trying to render HTML in the first post’s case?

But if that’s what you’re trying to do, maybe in your make recipe you can use a transformer like https://www.make.com/en/help/tools/text-parser to effect the change you need.

Maybe @sasha_f or @Phil_Seeman knows better?

Hope that helps,

Larry

Hi Larry, thank you for the useful extra information. I didn’t know about the html updated. I’ve informed the guys from *make * as well, maybe they can use this to solve my problem.

What I want to do is get automatically a copy of the text that is in the description field of a task. It’s a place where I make up templates without having to get out of Asana and open a new document (like google doc) and save it as a template on my drive. I want the html text as it contains paragraphs and all that stuff and it’s easy to use it then into another (automatic) flow.

In the latest example I made an automation including ‘sent a mail’ instead of a google doc, because I have the option there to make up the text as normal text or as html code. The second option allows me to see how it has been made up, hence the screenshot with those string values. I hope this makes somehow sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, @frederik, I’m having trouble following, but I hope what I wrote before was helpful and made sense. If anything I wrote was not clear, feel free to ask a specific question and I’ll try to answer.

Thanks,

Larry

@lpb , I think I made it too difficult trying to explain why and how I want to use it. Thanks anyway for trying to understand and helping me out.
Bottomline is that I want to do as much from Asana as possible, such as writing a formatted text in the description field that can be used for other (automated) tasks.

If I understood it right, the description field in Asana uses a new kind of HTML code, which works with ‘blocks’. So I think that the automation tool (in this case Make) uses a different (older) version of html when looking at the description field, and thus failing to copy paragraphs (empty lines now in between the blocks of texts). So it puts everything together in one big block/paragraph of text.

This means I have to find a way to translate the new html code in the description field into an older version of html, using the

tags, in order to use those formatted texts. Or the automation tool Make should upgrade/adapt their module to the same html version, right?

If you would have an idea how I could make that translation from the new html to the ‘old html’, then you can let me know of course, I would be happy to try it out. :slight_smile:

@frederik, I think you basically have it correct. And I think I provided the answer to the question your asking in this prior post, but you’ll have to follow the links I gave and read the details there:

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you very much for your help and advice, greatly appreciated @lpb

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.