How to set up reoccurring daily tasks without creating copies

My team has to complete daily tasks with subtasks. Once they complete this, the next day’s task is created in the system, which is OK.

But it keeps the old task in the system, so the next day’s task (the same task) is added each day alongside the old completed task.

How do I set Asana up to do a task/operation with subtasks each day? Once completed, is this old task archived?

Welcome to the forum @Christopher_Martin2!

Before I take a stab at answering this I have a few questions:

1. When you are referring to the old completed task, do you mean the completed subtask?
  2. Do you need the subtasks also to have a date? Or could you be content with the main task being the only one having a date?

A limitation of Asana currently that we’re going to have to work with is that recurring tasks do not trigger rules. If you feel this helps adding your vote and voice to this topic is appreciated:

I think the issue was that I multi-homed the task into the Project ‘Operations.’ Thus, when a new task was triggered for the next day, it added the next day’s task to the Project and kept the old one there!

I have now discounted these multi-homed links and built them in each main project where they should sit.

Thanks for your help and insight.

1 Like

FYI: If you have the license for it you can put these automations in a bundle. Rules in bundles will only fire once per task even if the task is multihomed into multiple projects that have this bundle.

If you’re new to bundles this topic might help. :slight_smile: Streamline work using Bundles

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.