How to determine which template a custom field is used in

Not sure what’s going on here & hope someone can help me understand.

I’ve somehow duplicated the Priority field and would like to remove the duplicate custom field but it’s telling me it’s used in a template & can’t be edited. I think maybe I made a copy of it? It says it’s “Asana created” but it also shows “Created by Brian Fewell, Mar 26” (screenshot below).

Is there a way I can track this down so that I can remove the field from whatever template it’s in, then delete it? I want to remove it so that if others use the Priority field, they will all be using the same one so that if we set up rules or anything else there’s no confusion. I only have two custom templates built so far and it’s not in either of them.

I’m going to dig into recorded trainings to see if I can find help for this but if someone knows how to fix this I’d appreciate direct guidance! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello @Brian_Fewell,

Asana created custom fields cannot be deleted.

Now in order to find where your other field might be used you can use this great tool for example: iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

In your case it is a bit strange as it says Asana created but then also created by you and uneditable. I think you might be right with your assumption that you duplicated the Asana custom field and that is why the text in the description was copies over as well but in your case does not apply since you created the field by duplicating.

Now since it says the field is used in a template did you check with your team? As the field was made available to your org.

If you cannot figure it out I recommend reaching out to support so they can assist with this.

Thanks Andrea.

I took a look at iDO and the bonus Priority field is not attached to any projects.

I’ll open a support ticket.

Hm okay yeah then support should be able to assist.

@Brian_Fewell,

The field that you showed the screenshot of–that’s the Asana-provided custom field, used in Asana-provided templates, and not the one you should attempt to delete because you can’t.

I believe the other field named Priority is the one you actually created. Be careful first to avoid losing data, but if you want to only have one Priority field, this is the one to delete, I feel.

Thanks,

Larry

FYI regarding the iDO custom field tool: Asana does not provide the ability to programmatically query project templates, so the list of projects in the iDO Custom Field Explorer contains only projects, not project templates. It’s possible a custom field is contained in a project template which you won’t see in that (or any) tool. To be clear, this is an Asana limitation, not the iDO tool.

1 Like

Of course I agree with @Phil_Seeman, but I still stand by answer just above his post; I think that’s what’s going on here.

@lpb do you know why it shows “Created by Brian” though?
Screenshot_3408

When I add an Asana-created custom field in one of my projects it still says “Created by Asana”
Download (2)

And actually upon checking further also in my org another “priority” field appears which is set up exactly the same way but shows created by me although it is an Asana-created field.
Download (3)

And both have the Asana icon, just slightly different description
Screenshot_3410
Screenshot_3411

And both are added to the org library.

I have now also found this post where somebody reported similar, but here it is understandable due to various languages.

And I have also found this post. which seems to be a bit similar to this issue?

@lpb — There are actually two fields. I included that screenshot showing the one “I” created, but the other one says “Created by Asana, Aug 11, 2021” (which is when my company originally tried unsuccessefully to introduce Asana to staff).

EDIT: I do also show both of them in the available fields list, & there they both say “Asana-created”:
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 9.35.32 AM

Thanks @Andrea_Mayer for digging further! Looks like this is not unique to me, which is both a relief and introduces additional confusion. Seems possible it’s a bug?

1 Like

Whoops…sorry for the mistake; I have the exact situation as both of you; two Asana-created custom fields.

(One was scrolled off the list I was looking at of the library’s custom fields so I jumped to the wrong conclusion when I wrote my post before; sorry.)

I’m not sure why one of these shows it was created by me, but it’s the same situation as both of you, and neither can be deleted, only removed from projects or My Tasks.

Is this the solution (in thread @Andrea_Mayer linked to):

That requires 1) requesting Support to unblock the field, then 2) carrying out the steps yourself, it seems.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for this insight, @lpb! I did open a support ticket late yesterday so hopefully I can get this resolved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.