Help - Remove weekends from task durations?

Hello, I need to shift multiple due dates in a project timeline, and our organization only works Monday - Friday. Is there a global setting where I can exclude weekends when setting start and due dates? When I bulk-select dates to move the whole project back by a few days, the start and end dates for items are now falling on weekends.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Alex_Rolleigh! Unfortunately, we don’t have such an option at the moment; it’s already possible to remove weekends from your calendar (Asana calendar view options | Product guide • Asana Product Guide), but weekends can’t be excluded from due date options. I have gone ahead and moved your thread to the #productfeedback to allow you and other members to vote for this feature request!

7 Likes

Would like day-of-the-month due dates to move up to Friday if falls on a weekend. For example, if a bill is due on the 15th of the month, and the 15th is a Saturday, due date would be set to the 14th instead. Thanks!

6 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Andrew_Soltys and welcome to the Community Forum. We already have a thread that is really similar to yours, so I’ve gone ahead and merged them to consolidate feedback around this topic; hope that’s ok!

1 Like

Hi, is this something that is in the works? It would be very useful to our organization as well. We use auto-assign due dates as part of our Rules and it would be helpful if there was an option to exclude weekends from the day count.
Thanks!

6 Likes

We started using this software mainly for the timeline. Excluding the weekends would be absolutely helpful, in fact necessary for this software to be useful to our team. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi Marie,

Will there be an option so that auto-shifting dates does not skip weekends? Template projects are basically unusable for us unless this feature can be switched off.

Thanks!
Josiah

1 Like

Yes there is @Josiah1 but only for dependencies at the moment, you can choose this when setting up your template. More info in this article: Creating task dependencies | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

This is such a critical requirement for project planning.
Asana are there any updates to this functionality?

6 Likes

Is there a workaround for this that I’m missing? This seems like a glaring omission that’s not being prioritized at all. Do people just not use this feature? Or do it manually? Or work on weekends?

1 Like

When you set a date range on a task that is longer than a week, the date range does not take into account non-working days when spreading hours. In order to maintain an accurate workload, if a task is going to take two weeks at 10hrs, that should reflect as 2hrs per day. Because of the weekends, however it does not. The task could be set to recurring to begin again on the Monday of the following week, but there are many times when we don’t want to lose the notes and comments from the first week in a new task, or the task may only need seven days, so a recurring option would not work. Any ideas? Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi @anon68050897, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

While this feature isn’t available right now, we do have an existing feature request in the forum. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, from what I’m seeing this has been a requested feature for three years. I need to make a workflow decision for my team now, however. So, please be straight. Is this update something that is going to be fixed anytime in the next two to three months, sometime this year, or is it not on on the timeline for 2021 either? I am not trying to be rude, I just need an answer. This is incredibly important to us. Thank you

18 Likes

Could someone share an update on this. Automating dates in a rule is such an amazing tool, but its pretty useless if the dates cant be set to business days. As a project manager it makes us look irresponsible to schedule things on a weekend, when its not actually us scheduling it.
Please help me understand how best to support a feature request like this and easily follow its progress. Thanks

6 Likes

It’s been 4 years since this was first suggested. Most companies work Monday to Friday. Has anyone found a workaround?

2 Likes

+1. Just started using Asana a couple days ago and this was one of the first settings I tried to adjust, was surprised it wasn’t available. The lack of this feature makes the task template subtask deadline setting much less useful!

1 Like

+1. C’est demandé par la communauté depuis des années et pourtant cela ne semble pas prioritaire. Pourtant c’est essentiel ! Pour quelle raison les équipes de développement d’Asana ne l’implémente pas ? Je ne comprends pas. Une réponse ?

+1 here as well. As most orgs are M-F, it is vital to project planning to allow for the removal of weekends when selecting dates. A modal which presents a field like “If a date falls on a weekend, the data will be shifted to the (“Friday before” / “Monday after”) the weekend” would take care of the issue.

Exactement ou la possibilité de décaler de 2 jours. Ainsi l’échéance à Samedi devient Lundi et Dimanche devient Mardi. Essentiel !

So far, the ONLY way I have found to do this was using Flowsana in a workflow. Now, I am very green to this so I can’t say the best way to set this up, but I do know that that is the only way to do it.