Has anyone found a workaround for not being able to have a multi-select drop down box for a custom field?

Hi there - has anyone found a work around for not being able to have a multi-select drop down box for a custom field on a task by chance? We need to be able to tie tasks to multiple selections on our strategic projects that will show up in a Search but I’m having no luck figuring this one out. Any help/thoughts would be very appreciated!

Hi @anon43108023, thanks for reaching out!

@Bastien_Siebman shared a good workaround for this request here:

I also recommend you to support this feature adding your vote here: Multiple select for custom fields

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@anon43108023 (and @Bastien_Siebman in case you want to update your workarounds),

I’d recommend trying to use an existing Asana feature that supports multiple values:

1. Use multi-homing (assigning the task to multiple projects): You can have an unlimited number of them, you can name the projects anything you want, a column in search results for Projects is shown where all values will appear.

2. Use Tags: Same as above, you can have an unlimited number of them, any names you want (e. g., #Group-A, #Group-B, #Group-C), a column in search results for Tags is shown where all values will appear.

Hope one helps,

Larry

2 Likes

Great tips! Thank you @lpb!

1 Like

@lpb I have added them to 🔥 Hottest feature requests and their workarounds feel free to suggest any rewording

@Bastien_Siebman,

Thanks. Maybe express W10.5 this way for clarity:

W10.5: use multi-homing (add to project) to add multiple values to a task

Larry