Global Rules would rule! Create a library for Rules

This would be a dream for me and I’m sure a nightmare to program but my hope is that on the Asana road map there is a milestone that would allow a rule we’ve created to be discoverable across all projects from a library (much like how Custom Fields behave). Create them once, add them forever.

81 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback @Brian_Massey and thank you for the screenshot!

Hopefully this is something we can integrate in the future! :crossed_fingers:t4:

Have a great day!

4 Likes

Hi Natalia, I like the “rule” feature a lot, and am using it actively. Only a small suggestion: every time a rule is run, there is a conversation box saying " ‘rule’ is running" “rule owned by xx”, can I turn this box off? It becomes very annoying now, especially when there are multiple rules running at the same time, then the boxes filled the whole screen, which is really bad looking and distracting. I truly hope I can turn the box off! I know rule is running! No need to remind me! (Or some setting like “don’t show again about this rule”) Thank you!

11 Likes

Hey @Natalia, Just adding to this, if Rules could be set at Team level it would assist greatly too. Maybe this would be an easier feature to deploy.

We use rules extensively. Our Teams are structured around a larger Project, with Asana Projects to manage distinct phases. The rules created for each Asana Project within a Team are typically the same. That said if a global library existed as suggested by @Brian_Massey that would be awesome too.

Thanks

Stephen

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us @Stephen_McGrath

I totally agree with you that it would be awesome! Hopefully this is something we can implement in future updates! :crossed_fingers:t5:

Have a nice day!

This one has my vote too! Here’s hoping they are able to find solutions to both!

2 Likes

Hi Natalia, Any updates on this feature? Deadly long for this! I have 10 projects with identical structures and I am sooooo tired of setting the same rules 10 times for each projects. And without global rules I will have to do this 10 same rules manually again next year…

5 Likes

Would also be awesome if we could establish global rules that just have to be activated.

3 Likes

Hi @Amy_Jo_Yates and welcome to the forum!

There’s actually a separate Product Feedback topic for global rules; you can add your vote for it (and the moderators will probably merge your post into that topic) at:

2 Likes

AGREE!

Rules as a whole needs to be redone.

Can’t export Rules
Can’t set global Rules
Can’t allow other to edit rules (should be set as Custom Fields)
Cant’ use Rules against subs

Rules Rule but needs A LOT of upgrades.

6 Likes

I’ve already up-voted this feature, but I’d like to add emphatically that this would be a life-changing enhancement. I’m in the middle of adding rules to all projects and all templates. Days, days, days of my life devoted to rules. I can’t even copy-paste! Please “choose from library” like custom statuses and fields would be a-ma-zingggg!

7 Likes

This way, you don’t have to create new rules for every project. Am I right?

I see this as a useful workaround to my issue- I’d like to assign a rule to all my projects in a team- or multiple projects at once. ie: If someone assigns something to a MarketingOps person it adds that to a Marketing Ops projects (for triage/team tracking) But a Rule Library would be useful too- could enforce people always assign this rule to their project.

Absolutely agree a Rules Library is needed.
There is a Custom Fields library, why not for Rules?

I’m working on systematising phases of a construction project and the same Rules of action apply to each phase.

1 Like

Just upvoted after also seeing the need in this more and more

1 Like

Agreed. I just created a set of Rules and added them to my Template, but now need to replicate those rules across 40 existing Projects. I’d love a Rules library that works like the one for Custom Fields.

3 Likes

Hi @David_Limiero,

FYI my Flowsana integration has a “duplicate rules” feature that lets you duplicate all Flowsana rules from one project to another. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman - you just made my day! :star_struck:

1 Like

**“Rule Template Dashboard” - Creating and maintaining Rules across multiple projects simultaneously. **

I’m a project manager at my company, where we switched to asana about 8 months ago. As we learn more about various ways to use this wonderful tool, and the environment changes, our methods adapt, and so do our rules and how we use them. This is what is wonderful about asana - its agile capability. However, there are major weaknesses to the maintenance of the automation capability that makes this tool less agile than you might think.

We’re managing dozens of projects at a time. So with each company-wide rule revision we make, we have to do the same repetitive task across every single project to bring them all up to date. This has made me, the project manager (and also the asana guru at my workplace) bogged down by monotonous rule-maintenance tasks that take away a significant amount of time from my actual job: managing projects. In a way, I’m now the asana system administrator, and have strapped on a second job: managing asana’s “rules”.

Creating a system to automate the MANAGEMENT of these rules would be incredibly powerful, and remove much of the headache associated with keeping the powerfully customized “system” we’ve created running. Now, what I’m requesting is a big undertaking, as it would be a large project, but the implementation of such a request would put asana miles ahead of its competitors.

Here’s my single request:
1. Creating a “Rule Template Dashboard” that would allow rules to be created, modified, and applied to select projects all at once. Once these rules were set up in the rule template , and the projects selected, you could submit it with a single button, and initiate the change across the board. Once.

Now, I realize that this would take time for the automated rule changes to take place. That’s where you could set up a que for the projects up in a particular order and asana would run through each project in sequence based on this order.
When would this take place? During designated non-business hours or “maintenance hours” chosen by the user. This would avoid any conflict with users activating rules that are still in flux.

Let me know what you think, and if you would change anything, and PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS! It would make so many people’s time and increase the efficiency of agile project management exponentially.

10 Likes

Hi @anon68735960 and welcome to the forum!

I personally think this is a great idea and would love to see it.

A couple of things to note in terms of this forum… First, the forum section where you posted, Tips and Tricks, doesn’t allow for voting. To do that, you want to post in the Product Feedback forum section.

However, in this case, there’s already a Product Feedback topic that basically matches your request, so the moderators will likely merge the two (cc: @Marie @Emily_Roman) and you will probably want to upvote that topic:

1 Like