FORMS - provide parameters via FORM link, allows setting defaults/values & pre-filled fields

I am new FORMS user. Asana creates FORM link from project form definition. it does not allow for default field values (as many have requested here). It also does not allow FORM link to be modified to support URL parameters (at least, I tried, perhaps the wrong format)… for things like passing pre-filled or default values for field(s) info on the form link request (eg user’s name, email, phone, or other fields such as type of form request).

It would be great if we could pass parameters in URL request. For example:

https://form.asana.com/?k=WO6QglF80jd_09MRm0EqnA&d=1181729154158375

could be modified as…

https://form.asana.com/?k=WO6QglF80jd_09MRm0EqnA&d=1181729154158375&name=‘Grant%20L’

to set first field “NAME” to “Grant L”

This way, in terms of integrations, you could pass pre-filled/default values with URL form request (from web site, app, etc).

Of course there are some challenges… names of each field (is this done today, accessible, is there pre-fix for Asana account number, portofolio, project, etc or some other naming convention, or simply to externalize these names in FORM creation panel)?

Another challenge with FORMs in general is NO CAPTCHA support… to prevent bots from pre-filling/spamming forms into Asana. This is an issue today even with user interface… no way to guarantee human at UI… another feature request.

Thoughts/comments/solutions?

Would be easier than API integration… and use standard URL format for FORM link. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi @Grant_Corene, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! While it’s not currently possible to modify the forms links,hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you updated if any changes are made here :slight_smile:

Up!

3 Likes

Yes, please!

We need to be able to pre-populate form via URL variables to use Forms, otherwise Forms are useless to our use case. Please add!

1 Like

Agreed! We need this.

Any update on this feature request? We’re looking to migrate away from forms to a solution where we can pass parameters to the form.

Upvoting this!

Are there any updates? We also need this feature.

Pre-filling fields based on URL would be very helpful for QR codes on equipment to submit tickets for maintenance or issues.

Is that working yet? Even google forms has it.

1 Like

@Rebecca_McGrath

It’s been 2 years. Can we have an update on this feature? Like it was mentioned, Google Forms already has this. Please advise as many of us look to move away from Asana Forms to other Client facing solutions like OneDesk and ManyRequests.

Please advise!

Hi @Nick_Z,

Asana (like a lot of its competitors) doesn’t publish a public roadmap or comment on unreleased features, so there’s no information to be had on this unless/until it gets implemented.

Adding my interest in this. This is the exact use case I’m after right now.

Us too. We’re building a deal analyzer and most of the numbers are always the same – which we’d like pre-filled in the submission form. From there the user tweaks one or two fields, and boom, a quick way to analyze a deal.

Hey @Mike_Paul , if there is no reason for such fields to be populated in the form by the submitter, you could setup Rules in the project to work in the background to populate those fields for you, once a task is added to the project from the form. The rules could pre-fill your tasks based on certain conditions, such as the ‘one or two fields’ that the submitter chooses in the form.

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

1 Like

Interesting, thank you for the thoughtful reply Richard. In our case there’s 13 fields (dollar amounts, number of days, percentages) that can be tweaked at will to see how a deal can get done (aka if it doesn’t work at 9% interest would it work at 8%?) and what I’ve built in jotform allows me to have all of those fields present, pre-filled, and ready for adjustment as needed.

In most cases, the user just needs to adjust the purchase price and repair costs (we’re in a real estate investing context here) in order to see what the deal might look like and whether we should pursue it further.

Unfortunately, having those fields populated through a rule in the background outside the user’s view wouldn’t work in this use case.

Basically what we’re building is a way for someone to turn various dials to see what the deal might look like if we did it this way or that way with regard to things like interest rates or repair costs, other fees, etc. With what we’ve built in jotform, the analysis is done in real time right on the first screen; if the ROI looks good, they submit it to the system for further review by other team members.

Totally understand, @Mike_Paul .
I’ve actually built a quote calculator in Asana for the licenses/seats that I sell as a Solutions partner, but I can use this without a form - I can simply adjust fields of the task directly in a project and then I have formulas, rules (and a bit of Flowsana.net magic) working out the final figures of the deal.

Would that work for you or do you definitely need to interact with a form?

And then if the deal is approved, you could have a single-select dropdown field to move it onto the next stage. Or, if you’re on Business/Advanced, convert all deals into approval tasks and use the approved option.

1 Like

It sounds like we need to interact with a form for ease of use; our users are real estate agents and not technically inclined per se. They just need a simple way to punch in some variables and see whether the deal’s worth submitting to our system so we can take next steps in our due diligence effort of reviewing the property’s condition, encumbrances, etc.

I’ve got it to a point where you can submit the form with the numbers you have and then review the Total Cost, Total Profit, and ROI in the resulting task, but the inability of Asana to display these values right on the form is a deal-breaker for the boss.

Another thing we’re doing is once it’s approved for further research, we have someone drive by the property and take pictures. It would be ideal if someone could just pull up the list of “to be driven” properties from the driver’s photo submission form we’re building, but the problem there is Asana can’t show you pre-existing information (as far as i know) so they’d have to manually type the address. Not a huge deal because of address auto-completion for consistent addresses, but then someone has to manually merge the “to be driven” task and the “photo submission” tasks into one.