[Forms] Ability to manage Forms permissions

Couldn’t find any information on this, but how can I make a project form only accessible by people within that project?
It seems like this would be a big limitation if it’s not possible to limit who can access forms.

6 Likes

Forms are made to allow anyone from the world to input data into your Asana, so the link is kinda public once its out there. @Marie is that correct?

Hi @Israel_Gonzalez,

As it stands, it is not possible to manage Forms permissions, but this is certainly something our team will evaluate for future updates!

In the meantime, if your project is private to project members, and if none of the members share the Form link externally, nobody else will be able to access the Form! I know this is not ideal, but thought it could be useful until our team comes up with a better solution!

4 Likes

I have run into this a couple of times now where a user thinks they are filling out the form but end up editing the actual form. Can there be a way to lock the form? One of these users is not a member of the project and was able to edit. I’ve disabled editing capabilities to those who are official members but since it is a public project, those it’s not shared with can come in and make changes. On that note, can it be standard for non-invitees to not be able to edit?

I appreciate any feedback.

7 Likes

Hi @Olive and thank you for reaching out!

As it stands, there isn’t a way to lock forms within a project. If you are in a Paid plan, one workaround could be to convert the project to a Comment-only Project or turn it into a Private Project to avoid the non-member users to edit any task or the form itself.

There is an existing thread regarding this topic, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate feedback. I would suggest you to upvote the request by clicking on the Vote button next to the title.

I hope this helps Olivia, but please let me know if you have any follow-up question!

This seems to answer the question, but it doesn’t solve the problem. I, too, have encountered users who have tried to fill out the form (by clicking the Forms tab instead of the link to the form) and edited the form by accident.

Maybe instead of the Forms tab defaulting to the Edit mode of the form, it defaults to the form to be filled out. Then there’s an Edit link for those who should edit the form (the form’s owner). This won’t solve the permissions issue, but it will resolve the issue of accidentally editing the form.

Just a suggestion!

Oh, and just a pet peeve. If you can only have one form per project, why does the tab say Forms (plural)?

8 Likes

I feel like a common usage of Forms would be to gather information from other employees.

I believe it would be great if a form could only be filled in by someone in your organization (logged into Asana), and it would populate the subsequent created task with that user’s name/email address (perhaps be able to tag them as the task creator). In that way you minimize the information they need to enter, you avoid externalizing a form, and you can create processes around internal users creating tasks, requesting things, etc.

1 Like

Hi @anon45700928, thanks for reaching out and share your feedback with us!

We have a similar product feedback request about this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merge your thread with Form Sharing Settings to centralize feedback. I hope you don’t mind!

I’ll make sure to update the main thread once I have more information about this feature. Thanks again!

Hi,
it’s great that Asana forms have become more powerful recently. I wonder if it is even possible to password-protect an Asana form? There are use cases for this for sure, for instance I share a link to my Asana form or even embed it somewhere in my site, but want to make sure that only authorized people can use it. A worst case scenario is that someone uses that form to spam my project will fake tasks.
In Google forms this is possible: The first section has a text field as a password query, which is bound to a regular expression. This means that the user can only continue if the regular expression fits.
I see that there is no predefined option for a password protection in Asana forms. But maybe there is a workaround? And if not, this is a feature request, I guess.

1 Like

Hi @Martin_Brandenburg, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

We already have a thread related to this request. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with [Forms] Ability to manage Forms permissions to centralize feedback. We will update the main thread once we have updates about this feature. Thanks again for sharing and don’t forget to cast your vote!

Thanks for sharing the information

I also am really enjoying the form functionality, but it is a pretty important item for us to have the form locked down to asana organization team members only, or potentially just team members of the team the form is associated with. Currently we can put the form link behind an intranet page, but its very easy to just copy and paste that link into the wild and then you have 1000 bot/spam requests coming into your asana list. I am surprised this hasn’t happened already and just have my fingers crossed daily no one shares it publically. Because we would have to take the form down and rebuild it, and then again can not stop some unknown person from sharing it publically again.

2 Likes

This has happened to our team several times. I think we are going to create a work around where the form lives on another project and then a Rule puts it into the other main project, where lots of team members can access.

Great suggestion! I’ve had the same issue, and seems like the simplest solution would be to have the Forms tab default to filling out the form and not the form editor. Though I agree with others that there should be form editor permissions so not anyone involved in the project can come in and edit a form.

I only recently discovered forms with Asana, and oh boy do I love it. Way easier to set up than Google Forms, but I also have a big concern about the lack of permissions on the form.

I’ve read all the comments above, but to want to echo how important/urgently some form of security for forms needs to be added. Even if it’s just a simple passcode that needs to be entered by the internal team upon opening the URL. This internal code we can change and provide to the internal team.

Holding thumbs and hoping there some extra layers of protection that can be added ASAP.

Thanks
Grant

1 Like

In your case @Grant_Duke what is it you want to secure? Access to the form because it contains private info? The submission itself?

Hi @Bastien_Siebman,

Yes, I’d like to secure the form, as the information being submitted can be sensitive at times.

As well as limit who has got access. (I,e, internal staff only in our org on Asana)

Hope that helps?

Thanks
Grant

1 Like

Even though the form public link itself is public, the hosting project could be private and only visible by a single person. So why not let “anyone” submit, but one person read the results?

I would like to lock it from even project team members. They are actually the biggest offenders because they have access to the form tab. The link button is so small and in the corner they don’t know to look for it. It has happened three times already and they were painstakingly created to the point that I cannot just fix it because I can’t remember how it all worked or what all the questions and threads are.

3 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman

Sure, the link is public, but the project, where the results are stored is private.

It still doesn’t stop a bot from spamming the form and flooding the project with fake information.

Don’t think this has been asked, but I don’t think we want the form to be indexed by Google, etc.

Thanks
Grant

1 Like