[Forms] Ability to manage Forms permissions

That is a very good point! I am sure there is a way, with Rules, to identify spam bot because they would not select the right value. For example you could have a custom field “Are you a robot?” and put “Yes” and “No”. There is a good chance bots will either take the first answer or not answer, and then with a rule you could clean up the mess. (that is just a workaround)

Good point! That should be a dedicated request here in the forum.

If there was perhaps a way to simply put a passcode in front of the form. What would already help a lot. As only internal team members will know what the passcode is. And this code we can rotate on a month/weekly basis.

Shall I create a topic for this?

1 Like

I also don’t understand why there is no way to add permissions to editing forms. I just created our first form and did a training on how to use and have already had one person go in and try to submit their form from the editing section. This seems like an easy fix to a frustrating and common problem.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I mean it was literally three minutes after I finished our first training on it, which tells me it is probably going to start happening a minimum of once every day :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m part of those that have fallen victim to team members attempting to populate forms from the editor instead of the public link :man_facepalming:

I agree with a lot of the points above and believe that Form permissions and/or defaulting the Form tab to be an embedded live form rather that the editor would prevent unintentional (or intentional) tamping of forms.

3 Likes

This is not meant as an excuse for not having form permissions, but more as an explanation: remember that when Asana built the forms capability, their focus was that forms were a way for people outside of an Asana organization to submit requests, etc. (That’s also why there’s no way to authenticate a form submitter to an Asana user - well, without using Flowsana, which can do that :wink:.) From this perspective, people accidentally trying to fill out from the editor wouldn’t be an issue since outsiders can’t access the form editor.

I have no inside info but I suspect that as the Asana folks discover that more and more customers are finding forms to be valuable for submissions by people within the organization, they will add features which support that use case.

3 Likes

@Phil_Seeman :100:% see your point and agree that given the initial intent for outside input, this would be a non-issue. I, too, believe that the use of forms have evolved - to a point where it is occasionally a preferred point of entry for information, for members of a project. Task templates and the ability to duplicate these are great, but for some use cases the form makes more sense. Plus, there are times where the “insiders” have a voice when seeking outsider input through forms.

All that to say, you are right! … and I hope that as forms is more broadly adopted that the purpose and intent evolves. I’m confident that it will! :wink: - it’s the reason the #productfeedback category exists! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I definitely agree and would bet on the product team not having anticipated such adoption from within!

2 Likes

This is definitely something that needs to be addressed I have to fix my form a few times a month due to users editing the form when they need to be filling it out. The make the project comment only is too broad as we would need members to be able to do more than comment on the jobs within the project.

3 Likes

Please add my vote to this topic @Emily_Roman. I’d love to be able to have more control in locking down the form. As it stands, I don’t use forms because it’s just to open for editing/submission.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @anon51419778! You can add your vote clicking the purple “Vote” option at the top of this thread! Thanks

2 Likes

Oops missed it this far down. Thanks, @Emily_Roman

2 Likes

I’m moving my company over from Trello and my biggest concern is someone typing into the form editor as opposed to clicking on the link. I have set up a landing page that has links to where they’d fill out a form depending on what the request is (digital, creative, content, communications) but still, telling a group of people to please not even bother clicking on the form tab and just use the landing page i set up is asking for someone to click the form tab. I’ve voted for this.

1 Like

You could hide away the form project with only you as a member, and reroute any incoming submission into a more public project.

1 Like

Just sharing here a workaround we integrated for one of our clients to automatically capture, archive and delete (after a retention period) bot generated form submissions :

• Adding the last question as #Number

• Setting up as Required

• Question name : Bot Prevention | How much makes 2 + 2 ?

• List > Customize > Rules > Create a Custom Rule

Then setting up the Triggers & Actions accordingly to your unique needs in order to do the appropriate action when the answer is 4 or not.

We do not recommend to immediately delete or reject forms… as you may know, it happens that for some mystical reasons some real people may not answer the real answer even if they know it and do have full ability to discern.

Product Feedback : Voted !

Stay safe,

1 Like

Hello!
Adding my vote here: The same way we are able to lock fields on the project, I would love to be able to lock its form.
Even though I’m the person in charge of preparing the working setup, most of our boards are public/open to a specific team or the whole company.

Whenever someone opens the “Form” tab, the first thing they see is the editable form, which has brought us to several risky situations.

I see that the original post was created 2 years ago, but I still feel like this should be an existing feature.
Thanks!

1 Like

Adding to this - we need to have the basic function of password protecting this form so that we can be compliant with our security requirements. Please add a password function to forms Asana developers! Can’t be that difficult to implement.

2 Likes

Hi - also want to add my +1

2 Likes

Asana forms are pretty good - but they currently have no means of authentication/password protection. An Asana form URL is publicly accessible, which leaves the form open to spamming and is not suitable for organisations that have specific security requirements. This should be introduced as a feature as a priority.

2 Likes