Don't stack every task in Timeline view

I find there’s way too much vertical scrolling in Timeline view. I understand it’s based on a Gantt chart and that’s just how that works, but hear me out.

For simplicity’s sake, say I have 40 tasks, every task takes 3 days to complete, and most of them don’t overlap at all. I end up with 40 tasks stacked vertically and by the time I scroll to the 40th one, I can’t see the top one anymore. So having the timeline view is kind of pointless if I can’t get the whole picture of my project. (In a spreadsheet that’s not that big a deal because you can zoom out or shrink the row-height. In Asana, you can’t.)

It would be great if tasks that don’t overlap are shown in the same “row”, horizontally side-by-side instead of stacked. It would allow you to see way more of your timeline and reduce the amount of vertical scrolling you need to do.

25 Likes

Hi @Justine_D, thanks for providing this feedback! :slight_smile:

Your suggestion would certainly be useful!

I’ll keep you updated here if our Product team make any changes to Timeline! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be an amazing feature to include. I have the exact same issue. Where you are endlessly scrolling down the screen to see tasks in the timeline.

4 Likes

I use the timeline view quite a bit and the gantt view is NOT helpful. Can you please add a feature where we could deactivate the gantt view, please? As the previous entries mentioned, it is a lot of scrolling and very hard to navigate for my purposes. Thank you!

4 Likes

Upvoting this! I manually drag my tasks in Timeline view so that anything NOT overlapping in time follows the previous task in the same row. This works, but sometimes when I’m moving/shifting timelines the tasks AUTO expand back to the default GANTT cascade. I can’t figure out what I’m doing to trigger the expansion and it doesn’t happen every time I shift tasks. On projects with 10-30 sections, and sections with 20-40 tasks, it’s a huge amount of wasted time manually dragging my task to BACK to a collapsed view after this happens.

Thanks!

3 Likes

The ability to collapse tasks in the timeline view would be SO helpful. We’ve wanted this feature for years and have been manually dragging tasks to the same line.

2 Likes

Can you PLEASE continue to pursue this - this is a HUGE problem and it is extremely time consuming to constantly move tasks in the timeline view because the Gantt view is automatic. Every time I add a task it makes the timeline view so hard to see and then I have to spend precious time (sometimes up to 30 minutes if I’ve added many tasks) moving everything around manually so I can see it all easily. This automatic feature is very frustrating and it is highly inefficient for those of us that can’t use the Gantt view. It looks like this feedback has been an issue for years so please let us know when this will be addressed.

4 Likes

Upvoting this!
I spend a lot of time just re-aligning manually tasks on the same line to avoid endless scrolling.
It would be ideal to keep tasks aligned unless they cannot be (in case of time overlap).

2 Likes

Please and thank you :pray:

Seconding this! Would love to be able to collapse timelines to be able to view more at once!

1 Like

Adding another voice desperate for this feature! Please. I am constantly manually correcting the task stacking.

1 Like

Upvoting this! My team and I are spending much time every single day on aligning tasks.

Are there plans for a fix for this? If so, when? Would be very appreciated.

Many thanks for all the great stuff you do!

2 Likes

yes pleeeeaaassee! Especially since the calendar view does not give you the option to automatically show all of the tasks; you have to manually open each row of the calendar. The calendar view over-collapses and the timeline view over-expands. Both of these should be fixable!

2 Likes

(The calendar one. So sad! Viewing all tasks in given day in calendar )

Since the timeline subtask expansion update (which is definitely cool), this issue has gotten even worse. Now we can’t even manually align the tasks in the timeline in long-term views – the platform won’t let us! We spent so long manually aligning tasks, and now we’ve lost our work, and the bird’s eye view for our managers. It hurts!

I so appreciate all the work your team does to iterate on Asana. Please, please allow us to align horizontally! Thank you for everything!

2 Likes

Megan is right. Timeline is completely broken right now. We can’t move the tasks the way we did it before. It was very important for us.
And now it seem like a bug.
@Rebecca_McGrath

2 Likes

The new update has made the timeline feature impossible to use. All my tasks have been placed on different lines and I’m having to endlessly scroll to find tasks. Is it possible to reverse this update?

2 Likes

I agree with comments above. The timeline is now virtually impossible to read without the horizontal format and we now having to spend some considerable time to change the way we work in Asana to make it easier to use. This software is supposed to make it easier to manage projects, so why are changes like this being rolled out as part of a ‘Test’ without prior notice and without anyway to configure the parameters or turn off if not required. Please treat this as a bug and fix urgently.

1 Like

Mine has taken away the ability to manually drag…

Please fix this! Timeline view pretty much unusable without a lot of manual work…