Moving tasks in timeline view without moving the dates

Hello,

When moving tasks vertically on the timeline they very easily shift around start / end date, sometimes you don’t even realize it.
Is there a way to easily move vertically the tasks while locking start / end date?

I have to do this a lot because we break down cross-functional projects into smaller asana projects per vertical (each functional team own their asana project and we can consolidate a high level view based on milestones and main phases). As we do so, we need to manually move tasks vertically on the timeline to create a condensed and legible view (versus 1 task a row).
This creates a lot of manual work but is also error prone.

Thanks!

I agree totally, this would be a great feature. As you note, most timelines need a lot of hand editing to be usable, so it would be great to avoid unintentional changes.

My current workaround is to simply keep a hawkeye on the dates of the selected task(s), and watch during my moves to make sure I don’t change the date.

1 Like

I do the same but it takes SO long to be this careful.

Hi @Melanie_RM and @Stephanie_Oberg :wave:

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! I can see how this functionality would improve your Asana experience! I don’t think this is in our immediate plans but I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this thread if I hear anything!

Have a great day!

2 Likes

This could be easy to automate if the default was for it to be compressed so there was one task on each row, rather than the default to put each new task on a new row. Alternatively, could there just be a function/button that moves non-overlapping tasks into the same row?

7 Likes

+1 would be very useful for us, timeline currently gets out of hand vertically

1 Like

Hi! I am also in desperate need for a function to collapse all tasks in the same section to one row in the timeline (if they don’t overlap in tome). It is so difficult to get a good overview as it is right now och it takes a lot of time to do it manually. Please, fix this! Thank you!

2 Likes

+1
This would be huge. Perhaps adding a keyboard command (hold SHIFT to move vertically) that would allow you to move a task in Timeline with changing the date.

8 Likes

Any news here on collapsing tasks vertically on a timeline to clean up space? alternatively locking dates while rearranging tasks vertically on a timeline?? @Natalia

1 Like

+1 This would be a big help.

+1 this would be great!

+1

I agree, this is definitely needed. the solution proposed by Superfoodie-Phil would be an amazing and easy workaround.

Hi Natalia, this feature is really necessary. You can’t rearrange things in the timeline, without being afraid to change dates.

In programs from Adobe like “Illustrator” the direction of movement can constrained, while pressing after you start to move something. Even easier would it be to constrain the movement in only one direction after you start the move.

Christian (Hamburg Germany)

1 Like

My new workaround is to use Instagantt. They allow a true, live, 2-way synch with Asana, and their Gantt charts are perfectly readable and so easy to manage and frankly cause team members to sob with gratitude (vs. their silent gapes while viewing the snarled ball of kitten-mauled yarn that is the Asana Timeline).

1 Like

Are there any updates to this request?

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this? This is incredibly tedious and does not feel like project-management software. When I google “why does asana move my tasks around randomly on timeline view”, the first result is “switch to Monday.com” . :confused:

Any updates on this feature?