Consolidating tasks in a single row in Timeline

One row per task as default sorting (either w or without sections) is very painful to work from. Can we have some tools to autosort and collapse non overlapping tasks to the same row?

3 Likes

It also takes much longer to load when each task has its own row. In my project with 350 tasks, I have to scroll up and down to get each section to appear and it takes several minutes every time I open it. Manually moving them to share rows is both visually cleaner and faster to load.

4 Likes

Exactly the same for me. When I create an overview of project timelines, the timeline puts each task/subtask into a separate row which makes the timeline view useless with the number of tasks in hundreds. I need to manually adjust each timeline by drag-n-dropping all into a single line per project. Dear Asana, @Marie is there a way/tool to automate or at least control how timeline items are organised, please?

2 Likes

Is there any solution to this?

This is a fault in Asana, I’m not seeing the overwhelming use case for having tasks on the same row if the dates do not overlap.

It is visually chaos and the time required to adjust it is wasted. This makes create a dashboard / high level view of projects a PITA.

2 Likes

Would like to bump this one up as well! Would be incredibly useful if we could easily consolidate on a single row.

I have connecting board that are adding tasks to a timeline and they don’t overlap - would be incredibly helpful if they compiled on one line.

This would be incredibly useful. Having a overview project with multiple timelines and various tasks causes the timeline view to be completely useless if you can’t see all your projects without infinitely scrolling.

I do currently manually drag and drop tasks, but it has been difficult rolling asana out internally as people are used to seeing these things on one row. (When tasks overlap of course it’s fine for additional rows.

1 Like

Same here. An auto align button would be amazing.

3 Likes

+1 from me! Having to manually move every task up from wherever it is takes up so much time and they move around so its sometimes tricky to keep the dates the same.

A tip: When you create a task directly on the timeline, you can decide on which row it is. It’s not perfect, but for someone (like me) who use a lot of the timeline features, I prefer to do it that way instead of changing each task.

Yeah, this really needs to be addressed. The timeline view is great IF tasks are not spread vertically over half a continent of pixels.

1 Like