Dependencies for tasks created using rules

Use Case: Whenever a task is added to x_section, it is added to list of tasks blocking a task in y_section.

When all the tasks in a x_section are cleared, the task from y_section is unblocked. I can’t believe this isn’t a feature and that blocking is only allowed for triggers and not for actions.

7 Likes

Hi @Jeff_Lindahl,

You wouldn’t need a rule for this use case (unless I’m misunderstanding it or there’s some info missing) - when a task is blocked by (i.e. dependent on) other tasks and all of those tasks are marked complete, the dependent task becomes unblocked.

Let me clarify. Whenever a task is added to x_section, Rule automatically assigns that task to block a specific task in y_section. Currently you have to manually set every task to be blocking the other task.

Just implementing this would allow such a huge range of flexibility in automation, we already have the option as a trigger, just not as a rule action.

2 Likes

Ah, got it. That’s clear now, thanks.

Hi! Is there any possibility to set dependencies for tasks created using rules?
Adding subtasks using rules is a great feature, I use it to create custom sets of tasks depending on a type of pipeline that we use for production, but dependencies there is what it really lack.
Here’ s use case why I need it and why using template does not really work for me.

1. I have a form for feature request whic allows me to gather feature detailed requirement and I am totally happy with it.
  2. As we all know form creates a task. But to create a feature it takes more than 1 task, as you probably all know :slight_smile:
  3. I use combination of custom fieds and ruled to add specific sets of tasks - design, development, testing and other custom sets, directy under the initial request created from a form - and it works fine.
    Inside those sets tasks should have dependencies, but I cannot set them when i set up rule for adding those sets.
    So the question is - how can I do it whithout having to create a task container aside (cause I can set dependencies using templates but that means I should copy all requirements already listed in a request task to a new template every time and place the “requirement task” inside of my template created container not to loose initial request which is way more actions to do and time to spent if you have say 100 requests to convert to task containers …
    Any ideas/advice?
3 Likes

Hi @Larysa_Vyshnia, while using templates is currently the only way to automatically set dependencies between tasks, hopefully introducing the option to do this with Rules is something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looking for Tips…

I want to create a rule that assigns an approved once the task moves to the section (that bits easy). What I also want to do is set the task to be dependent on the sub-task approval just created, blocking the task.

Is this currently possible?

Hi @DWilliams-Castle, thanks for reaching out.

To clarify, you want to mark a parent task as dependent on a subtask? You can do this by following these steps: Creating task dependencies | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Please let me know if this hasn’t answered your question!

Hey @Rebecca_McGrath

I would like to do it based on a rule. So as part of the rule creating the approval sub task, mark the parent task as dependent.

I want to block the task being completed until the approval sub-task has been completed.

1 Like

Hi @DWilliams-Castle, thanks for following up!

While it’s not possible to set dependencies with Rules right now, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that this would be a great feature. I can set dependencies with templates, but can’t create set a dependency on a subtask in a custom rule process.

6 Likes

100% - setting up dependency on a subtask via rules would be great !

8 Likes

Also agree that being able to set up dependencies using rules would be helpful.

3 Likes

Also looking to be able to do this

Please add this functionality. It would be helpful.

1 Like

This would be a great feature. Please add :slight_smile:

Agree! Need this!

Same. Looking to set up dependencies for the rule ‘adding subtasks’. At the moment I can’t add any blockers to these subtasks within the rule. Instead I would have to manually add blockers each time which isn’t great when we are trying to automate everything. Thanks!

Re. this request, see also this thread:

And also an FYI that our Flowsana integration has an “Add Subtasks” rule action which includes the ability to set dependencies on the subtasks.

Hi Rebecca,

I would also appreciate such a feature. I try to set up an approval process for new IT resources. Technically you can do that in two different ways.
You can create sections for each approval step and let the task (“New IT-Resource”) via rules move automatically to the next section whenever the approval was done. While this works just fine from a technical standpoint there is also a big downside: each approval has to be done one after the other meaning that if two or more approvals are connected thematically, they aren’t notified at the same time and have to approve successively. The other way is to automatically create Approval subtasks to a main task. If you then set the main task as dependent on those sub tasks you can create a rule "Once dependencies are gone, update the main task to “Approved”. This would be great if there would be the possibility to set this dependency automatically. Without that possibility this way is no real option for me cause someone (maybe me) would have to do this manually every time, a new IT Resource main task was created.