Add a trigger for Rules that execute when TASK IS BLOCKED

It really helps to be able to automate workflow based on whether work is being blocked. I would argue it is also critical to know what work IS BLOCKED as well. In some cases users might not be able to accomplish a task that is upcoming, due or overdue because the dependency is blocking the task. In some of these instances the user might have influence on the dependency and could help get the task completed so their responsibility is unstuck and ready for action. Furthermore, I have seen where many users like to group tasks that are “pending” or “blocked” within they My Tasks or other Projects.

The ability to automate actions on tasks (like moving to a BLOCKED section) would be really nice. Because Rules don’t seem to execute in any particular order, the workflow attempted in the following post fails unfortunately - Allow user to define a specific order of rule execution - #5 by LEGGO

I think introducing some NOT condition triggers would really strengthen what users can automate. NOT blocked might be the most beneficial for me but I can see where others would also be useful (e.g. NOT in section or NOT with a due date)

7 Likes

Hi @LEGGO, thanks for providing this feedback! I agree that this would be a helpful trigger to have with Rules.

Hopefully we will see this implemented in the future - I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could definitely use this to keep My Tasks organized and actionable!

2 Likes

This would be extremely helpful in automating my workflow

@LEGGO,

How would this work, though? Rule triggers are based on changes in a task’s state; for example, the trigger “Task is no longer blocked” fires when a task’s dependency changes from incomplete to complete.

But “task is blocked” doesn’t involve any change in state; a dependent task starts out being blocked and continues to be so until it’s unblocked (per above). So I’m not sure how such a trigger could be implemented?

@Phil_Seeman perhaps the rule is triggered based on a start/due date but takes action differently depending on whether the task is blocked or not.

OK, fair enough, that makes sense!

1 Like

Also tasks can have dependencies added to them later. If I start a task, and it can’t move forward until another new or existing task is completed, then add that dependency (e.g. Blocked by x), it’d be helpful to have a trigger to move that task to a different section.

I think it would be very useful to have a “Task is blocked” rule trigger, which is the exact opposite of the “Task no longer blocked” trigger (https://share.getcloudapp.com/BluGWBoY) that already exists. This way I can easily keep track of the actionable tasks and put the blocked ones aside.

9 Likes

I think this is a great suggestion. Something I do to get around this is create a custom field open/blocked and then when a task is no longer blocked rules automatically change the field to “open”. I know it’s a workaround, but I hope this helps in the meantime.

5 Likes

Definitely need this. It’s such a mental drain to have it in my inbox.

Adding this earlier post as well, should probably merge it into this one: Add a trigger for Rules that execute when TASK IS BLOCKED

How do you link the blocked task and blocking task via the field column? Do you just use the blocking task and when it is complete the rule sets it to open?

@Daniel_Smith2,

Yes, I would set the rule to trigger once the task is no longer blocked by the previous task.

Ugh, I came here hoping there would be a solution, only to find out others are also looking for the same type of rule. Hopefully by commenting here, Asana will see how many users would find this feature beneficial.

Welcome, @John_Semerjian,

Yes, but it’s key to click the thread title to scroll to the top and vote with the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Added my vote here. Seems like such an obvious need/valuable enhancement to rule triggers I hope it is work in progress (and not blocked ;-)) by other dev priorities.

this would be extremely helpful. because of the way my org uses templates I get dozens of blocked tasks added to my board daily and my task inbox is basically unusable if left unkept over the weekend.

Yes! Needed!!