Deleting Sections

Please provide the ability to delete a section that no longer has incomplete tasks without having to delete every single complete task.

It is time-consuming to complete tasks and then have to delete all complete task to delete a section that is no longer relevant to me.

Same as brought up by JBT and commented by me => Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View!

I saw on another post by @Marie that this is being rolled out!

1 Like

Hi @Jenny_Woo and @Patrick14! Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

As @Bastien_Siebman has mentioned, we are rolling out an update that allows you to delete Sections/Columns without having to delete any task within it. This has been gradually rolled out (currently available to 50% of our users) and will be available to everybody in the next couple of days so if you’re not seeing this option in your account just yet, don’t worry it will soon be available to you!

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions! Have a great Monday you all!

3 Likes

Hi @Natalia, create news. Looking forward to test it out! Thx for the heads-up.

1 Like

@Natalia, what will this do to the completed tasks within the section?

Hi @Jerod_Hillard :wave:

That is a great question! All tasks nested in the Section, including Incomplete and Completed tasks will be deleted. After selecting “Delete Section” you will be prompted to confirm the deletion.

You can learn more about it in the following Guide article: https://asana.com/guide/help/projects/sections#gl-delete-section

I hope this helps! Have a great week Jerod!

Thanks for the response, @Natalia! I wanted to be certain I understood the behavior.

Personally, I am not a big fan of deleting tasks that have been completed within a section. If I find that a section has no incomplete tasks, I would love to be able to refer to that information in the future, if needed. There is so much good, searchable information that is collected within these tasks as the team collaborates towards achieving a goal. Being able to delete that hard work easily makes me nervous. I’ve voted and am closely watching the discussion here:

My take on this is similar to how the inbox is managed. Information is either active or archived but never lost! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi,

Great to hear about the roll-out of deleting sections without deleting all the completed tasks. But I just tried to delete a section where I deleted each and every single complete and incomplete task associated with the section and it still won’t delete. The delete option is greyed out and I get an info message telling me I have to delete all the associated tasks… which I’ve already done… help!

What’s the roll out plan on this? I still don’t have it (ability to delete).

Also – is there a plan to delete (or mark complete a section) without deleting all the tasks in that section? We quite like our historic data.

3 Likes

Hi,

In the new version of ‘sections’ one needs to delete all unfinished & finished tasks to delete a section. The latter, deleting finished tasks, is a huge difficulty, making it practically impossible to delete a section.

Can you please fix this ASAP?

Welcome to the Forum @Rens_de_Graaff and thank you for reaching out!

Sorry about the inconvenience this might be causing you! As I mentioned i a previous post here we are rolling out an update where you will be able to delete a Section without having to delete any task nested in it. This update will be available to everybody soon!

I’ll make sure to keep you posted in this thread as soon it is completely rolled out!

Thank you for your patience @Rens_de_Graaff. Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @Colby_Stream :wave: apologies for the delay in responding.

We are still in the process of rolling this update. I’ll keep you posted here as soon as is completely rolled out!

Regarding the ability to mark a Section Complete, I don’t have any information to share at the moment but if you haven’t yet, I would recommend you to add your vote to this thread: Mark Sections as Complete (in new spreadsheet List view)

Have a great day Colby!

Welcome to the Forum @Kristin_Atwood1 :wave: and apologies for the late reply here.

Can you please confirm if you are still running into this issue? I believe the reason why you were not able to delete the section was because your account was been update to the new ability to delete sections without having to delete any task that is nested in this section.

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for your message. I think you are right that I was caught in the middle of the upgrade - it seems to have resolved itself. I appreciate the follow up.

1 Like

Finally I’m able to delete sections, ONLY to find out that all the tasks were gone as well!

Is there a way you could just ‘mark complete’ and move on? We connect asana to airtable and xero and the ability to reference old tasks (we use project number) in asana is CRUCIAL. Deleting Sections remove all the tasks completed and there is no way to retrieve those task back from search bar.

1 Like

Hi @Leonarce and apologies for the delay in responding and for the trouble! As it stands there is no option to mark a section as Complete.

There is an existing thread requesting this functionality. I would suggest you to upvote it in case you haven’t yet: Mark Sections as Complete (in new spreadsheet List view)

Please, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Hi Natalia,

If I want to delete a section I get a message that it will also delete all the completed tasks within that section. How do I delete the section without deleting the completed tasks nested within that section?

Can we get an update here? We were told, “we are rolling out an update that allows you to delete Sections/Columns without having to delete any task within it.” I now have the ability to delete a section, but only with the ability to delete all the (completed) tasks associated with it.

1 Like

Hi @Colby_Stream :wave: Apologies for the delay in responding.

Sorry for the confusion Colby. Before the update it was only possible to delete empty sections.

With this new update, you are now able to delete Sections at any times, but it will also delete all tasks nested in the section. Apologies if my explanation wasn’t clear. You can learn more in the following guide article: https://asana.com/guide/help/projects/sections#gl-delete-section

Please, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Have a nice Monday!