Delaying Email Notification upon finishing the task creation

Whenever someone begins creating a task and assigns(which is the designed layout - “Task Name” followed by “assignee”), it INSTANTLY sends out an email notification before the description is even finished.

Is there a way to delay the sending of the email notification or only send email notification upon finishing the task creation?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t believe this is possible at the moment @Eric_Sleeth. That said, I can see your point there. I’d recommend moving your post to the #productfeedback category; you can do by clicking on the edit option next to your post title.

@Eric_Sleeth, the simple solution I always use is to proceed in this order:

1. First finish entering all the task details (title, description, subtasks, projects, etc.), and only after I’m sure it’s ready, then

2. Make the assignment (and add any collaborators).

That will send the notification(s) only after the task is fully ready to be seen by others.

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro Consultant at Trilogi Software

3 Likes

You could do that. However, all the other users in a team may not and it doesn’t address the issue.

Additionally, this is the designed user experience of Asana of prioritizing assignee. Which is fine. But it is impacting the notification system.

1 Like

oh my word, @Eric_Sleeth - YES! I found your almost-two-year-old note here by googling to hopefully find a solution for this very thing. the immediate sending of an email notification ends up causing more confusion than anything else, as the details aren’t fully input yet. Even a slight delay would make an enormous difference.

@Marie - is there any movement or possibility of movement on this??

When assigning tasks, I sometimes assign the task to the wrong user for a moment. Either the names come up too slowly in the search query and I hit return before the query has settled in, or on mobile it might be because the UI has to be smaller and I accidentally hit the wrong name.

Those UI issues aren’t a big deal on their own. I don’t mind fixing my mistake quickly. But…

At times I’ve assigned a task to a client who isn’t even a part of that project. In fact, that’s often what happens. Then that client gets an email and is confused.

All of this could be avoided if the system was set to wait for five seconds (or maybe 15 or 30) before triggering an email notification.

Thank you!

Hi @Mark_Tenney, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

We already have a request for this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your request with Delaying Email Notification to consolidate feedback. Don’t forget to cast your vote!

1 Like

Thank you, @Emily_Roman!

Any updates on this recent almost 3 year old issue?
Much appreciated.

Is there a way to change the 30 second timer that sends email notifications when there is a comment or update on a task? It can take longer than that to make changes and Asana sends the email too fast. Sometimes it’s mid sentence. Is there a feature that allows us to adjust the time or do it manually? Thanks.

Hi @Lisa_Marlowe_Industr, thanks for reaching out!

At this time, it is not possible to delay email notifications or send them manually. While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks and I will do that, but would like to add to the request.
When I update a task, I have several changes to make which takes time.
I’d like to see an option to “send updated version of task” after I finish all changes.
Sending emails for every little change every few seconds is too confusing to the team.
Having timer options or manual send settings after all updates are made needs to happen soon.

Thanks,

Having the ability to import a CSV and fine tune a new project before the task notifications go out to everyone would be very helpful. If the notifications can’t be delayed, is there a way to work in a private sandbox, or offline until ready to go live and have notifications go out? If there are many tasks in a project, trying to enter the assignees and collaborators after uploading is painful and time consuming. Has there been any progress with this issue?