Custom Task Templates

@Haley_Campbell GREAT idea! I just voted. I thought this was something Asana already had and at least now I know that I’m not crazy. Looked and looked.

1 Like

Gustavo, is that a mockup (photoshop) or you have this feature?

Hi Pedro, its just a mockup (windows paint).
Regards

+1 Great Idea

Yes, this! I have posted this in the project template feature requests as well, but it would be amazing if everything designated as a template in the system would hide those tasks from My Tasks.

This is what we have been trying. But you cannot keep the assignments. It confuses our team often whether or not its a task or an SOP task

I can’t imagine why this wouldn’t be implemented.

Because there are more important things to do probably :slight_smile:
I recently wrote an article about this using the Asana emoji as an example Why the hell would you integrate emojis instead of fixing performance issues? | by Bastien Siebman | Asana / minimalist work | Medium

How do you copy a task without it linking the two projects? The due dates change , etc, and if you delete the copied task, then it deletes in the original project too!! I’ve had some huge problems because I didn’t realize this was happening.

I don’t understand the duplicate button, it seems to mean duplicate AND link.

So you would like to duplicate a task (title, description, tags…) but not duplicate the fact that the task is in some projects?

This would be so great if we could assign a task template to a form. User submits all the information we need for a task, and then all the tasks are already there.

+1

1 Like

Isn’t it what a Asana Form is about?

How we use Asana
Our customer success team uses a project board in list view for tracking customer actions and initiatives. Each customer has their own project board where we store all tasks associated with that customer. We use custom fields for priority and progress, rules for automating repeatable actions, comments for providing updates on tasks, and more.

The problem & suggested solution
Many of our tasks tend to follow a pattern in that they consist of similar sub-tasks (ie. schedule workshop, send agenda, complete prereqs, write up report, etc.), so being able to have task templates that include the repeatable sub-tasks would not only save us time, but would eliminate human error. As it stands, steps are easily missed/forgotten because the sub-tasks have to be manually added; or the sub-tasks feature isn’t used at all because it’s too much manual effort for such a repeatable list of actions.

What we’ve tried:
We have tried many workarounds such as creating a separate project board purely for templates and duplicating a pre-made task with all relevant sub-tasks; but although this means things aren’t missed, it requires people to remember to put it in the right customer list and remove it from the template project board to avoid confusion. We’ve also tried using rules, but these do not work with sub-tasks. Alternatively, we’ve also stored a basic list in another tool (ie. Google Doc or Sheet) and just copy/pasted each time. None of which are great solutions for this frustrating, yet similar issue.

Hi @Fraja_Hodges, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We already have a thread about this topic in the #productfeedback category. I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with Task templates in addition to project templates! to centralize feedback. I’ll make sure to keep the main thread updated as soon as I have news about this feature.

Hi @Fraja_Hodges,
FYI Flowsana has a rule action that adds a set of subtasks from a template you define; see this forum post for more info if interested.

It would be incredibly useful to have Task templates as well as Project templates. My team has endless tasks within our projects which all have the same few subtasks, and being able to automate this process instead of creating them manually over and over again would save us a lot of time!

3 Likes

It would be incredibly useful to have Task templates as well as Project templates. My team has endless tasks within our projects which all have the same few subtasks, and being able to automate this process instead of creating them manually over and over again would save us a lot of time!

3 Likes

Here me out Community Lovers!!

Wouldn’t it be great if we had the ability to build a task template not only a project template.
For example:
I build one task that has a saved sub tasks under it. Every time I want to add to different projects, I can type in the name of this task and it will automatically populate all the sub tasks under it.
I know I can copy a task, but as asana is about efficiencies, it would be cool to have that option.

Any thoughts?

@Rashad_Issa While not being a task template per se, [Sendana Add]https://www.sendanatools.com/ may be able to facilitate what your are trying to do. Currently it is limited to one layer of subtasks but you can build a project with the one tasks and subtasks in it and Sendana Add gives you the option of add Tasks only or Creating A New Project. Adding this master task as long as subtasks do not exceed one level (for the time being) will be added to your target Project. You can save as many CSV files as you want and examples are ready to download at the hosted site.

Hi, Can you please consider adding the functionality of allowing you to push any changes made to a project template out across all projects created originally using this template? Cheers.