Custom Fields Push to Multiple Projects

I haven’t found a way to push a custom field to multiple projects. But there needs to be a way. If we have 50 projects, I don’t want to have to load the custom field for each one. While I can see that sending to all could be a problem, I would love to see a multi-selection of destination projects.

Also, it would be awesome to have a way to multi-select custom fields, and then multi-select the projects I want them to go to.

5 Likes

However a custom field can be used by other projects, but you still need to edit the project settings.

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

Hi @Francesco_Alessi, I really like the idea to be able to create a custom field and automatically apply it to multiple projects at a time. That’s not possible yet, but I hope this is something we can implement at some point. As it stands, once you create a custom field in one project, it is usable across all your Organization/Workspace, which means that you can apply it to any other project; this would have to be done manually, but at least the custom field will already be configurated. :wink:

Just in case you have seen it yet, we have a handy article about Custom Fields, you can check it out here :point_right:How to Create and Use Custom Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

3 Likes

I’d like this feature too. Priority rankings are central to how I use task management software (Asana at work, Todoist at home), and tags are pretty inadequate for this.

An aside: My latest issue with using tags “p1”, “p2”, “p3”, “p4” is that sometimes in my Next Action report, the priority tags are hidden by other tags. Not only can I not sort, but now I can’t even see!

Something perhaps easier than organization-wide custom-fields but still helpful would be to have new projects automatically created with certain default custom fields.

If you create a template that contains your desired custom fields, then when you need a new project, create it from that template and you’ll have your custom fields automatically there.

4 Likes

Phil is correct on using templates to create projects with all the custom fields you want.

My issue is more about sending one or more NEW custom fields to multiple projects. Having to go project-by-project adding a field you didn’t know you needed 3 months ago is a pain.

This is something I really think Asana should work on. I’m doing WAY TOO MANY things by brute force. If I want to add a new employee to 10, 20, 30, or 40 teams, I have to do that one-by-one. If I have a new project type I would like in all of our teams, I have to do that one-by-one. It would be awesome if I could pick things whether it’s a custom field, project, staff member, etc and push them to various teams, projects, or tasks.

10 Likes

I agree with Francesco_Alessi here. Has there been any traction on this since last year?

I work in an organization that has utilized Asana for a year. As we come up with ways to help us utilize Asana more efficiently, we are struggling to push some of our new items to our existing projects. Custom Fields being one of our major issues right now.

You have my vote for this one.

5 Likes

A solution already exists for this. My integration will allow you to do this within the same domain as your template that Phil suggest. Just go to Sendana Add at stratelyzedemo.com and download template and instructions. It is very easy to use and allows multiple projects at once. I would create a project with one task and all the custom fields you want to create in the multiple projects. Sendana Tools-Sendana Add- A Novel Way to Add and/or Transfer Projects and Tasks In Mass - #19 by James_Carl

Here is a jpg on how easy it is to add your custom fields to multiple projects. Create the source project, add 1 task and create your custom fields and then Sendana Add does all the rest. With the powerful option of either creating new projects or just adding tasks from an existing project your have lots of flexibiity. Plus it has every option switch and more than the current project copy or template.

I’m lacking the workflow here James - What’s Sendana? We have about 200 projects and I need to add a custom field to all of them. How did you create this spreadsheet without having to data entry all of the information per your jpeg? Thanks for the help, it sounds like you have found a workaround solution. Can this work for changing or adding a task to multiple projects as well?

Asana - This function is the biggest set back this application, we need to be able to globally change all projects as workflow changes in our business.

1 Like

Has there been any update on if this feature will be added to Asana soon?

1 Like

Hi @Karissa_Horst,

I don’t have any update on this topic at the moment, but I’ll update this thread as soon as I have one!

1 Like

I agree with Brandon here. I’m on the same page as he is.

I am considering building a tool on minimalist-work.com to do this :slight_smile: I’ll be in touch.

2 Likes

any updates on this feature?

I have a little workaround: if you choose a custom field as a metric for a portfolio workload then Asana offers to add this field to all the projects that don’t already have it. Only works for number field and is worth it if you already have a portfolio I guess.

1 Like

+1 on this! Especially painful to a relatively new Asana user who has added plenty of projects but is still fine-tuning the fields needed to support our Agile process. Big slog to manually have to add this to every project

1 Like

I would really like to see this feature added. Its a real shame that nothing seems to be happening about it despite this discussion starting three years ago.

It would be great if there were a way to add the custom fields to all (or several) projects in an account all at once, rather than one by one. My org has about 40 projects listed, and I want to add the Progress fields and Team fields to all of them at once.

1 Like

Any movement on this on adding custom fields to all projects ?

3 Likes