Coding custom rules

Hey Asana community,

I am looking into creating/coding custom rules, as the available ones don’t offer what I need.

I am currently developing a workflow that is reflecting single creatives as a task in a larger project/campaign (as single projects for each task would clutter the interface). I want to keep track of the versions of each task/creative. When the project manager drags the task e.g. SingleVideo to the section “Waiting for Approval”, I want a subtask to be created with a custom field, he can paste a video URL into and which is marked as an approval task. On denial/change request, the toplevel-task is supposed to be auto moved back to the VideoCreation section, and the first approval subtask archived. So when the review of the video/creative is done, the manager can move the task to the “Waiting for Approval” section again, and a second approval task is created, so we still have access to the URL of the first version.

Is there any way to do this wothout coding? If not, how can I custom code rules? I could only find the API itself but nothing on how to use the API within Asana rules.
And my last question, ideally I would not create new tasks for each revision of the creative/task but keep track of several versions/iterations within one subtask, like in an array, that stores video_v01,https/vimeo.com/VIDEOURL1; video_v02;https/vimeo.com/VIDEOURL2 and so on

Any suggestions?

Thanks already!
Sebastian

If you want to code a custom rule you can use the latest AppComponent feature

With a native rule you can create a subtask when a task is moved to a column, this subtask could be an approval task and could (I think) be multi-homed into a project that has a custom field just like you need.

Hi Bastien,

unfortunately I am no developer. I thought there might be just some scripting, but from what I get on a first glance, I have to install a server to communicate. Are there any tutorials on that?
I am basically looking for a function like

1. on “drag to section” → create subtask “n” as an approvaltask
  2. on denial/request for change of subtask “n” archive it in a custom array field (dependant of the task) “Revision Number/URL/Comments on Revision”
  3. move task back to “video editing in progress”
  4. iterate n and repeat until approved

Any other recommendations on how to achieve that without deep diving how to code an app and install a server?

Best
S

#1 can be done through native rule, but #2 and following can’t because native rules don’t work in rules. The Asana API Documentation is the one we all use. AppComponent, the piece I shared earlier, has a dedicated documentation.

Honestly what you are describing seems really complex for a non developer. @lpb @Phil_Seeman what do you think?

You could achieve everything using Zapier & co, and custom coding some actions, but that still does require deep developer knowledge.

Agreed!

Larry

Thank you guys! Thanks for your advice :smile: I guess you might be right.
As I am a bit of a nerd, I think I am gonna give it a shot and try to learn some coding, but otherwise I am gonna try to find a solution involving Zapier and Co. Which one of the automation platforms would you recommend? Will Flowsana help here?

Thanks

@Sebastian_Pforr,

@Bastien_Siebman’s

and

@Phil_Seeman (creator of flowsana.net)

can help!

Larry

As @Bastien_Siebman and @lpb have said, this will require custom coding. Personally I really wouldn’t advise one to make one’s first project in learning coding as something involving the Asana API - not only will you need to set up a server but for your needs you’ll need to either use webhooks to be notified when the subtask gets approved/denied or else set up a loop to periodically check for that state change.

Having said that, here is my initial thought - but please note this is a quick take, not a detailed analysis:

When the project manager drags the task e.g. SingleVideo to the section “Waiting for Approval”, I want a subtask to be created with a custom field, he can paste a video URL into and which is marked as an approval task.

If you’re on Asana Business or Enterprise, you can do this with an Asana rule; if on Premium, with a Flowsana rule.

On denial/change request, the toplevel-task is supposed to be auto moved back to the VideoCreation section, and the first approval subtask archived.

This is the part that will require some custom coding.

2 Likes

Thank you all. I think I should start with Flowsana, as I will do almost everything of what I currently require. Any idea which integration allows me to make external forms or database content visible in some kind of widget, so I dont have to cros over to a totally different tool, but maybe access ecternal data within the comment section?
All the best
Sebastian.