Changing all the dates of a project

Basically, I’m managing projects that have 60 or more tasks associated with them and multiple people are assigned different tasks. We use custom templates with end-dates and all the assigned dates work backward from that end-date. In some cases we have to “push” a project by a week or two and need to change the dates for each task. It can take more time than I care to give it.
In a case like that, is there a way to change all the dates (from the current date) by 7 days or 14 days?

3 Likes

@Derek_AM, If you’re on a paid plan, you can use Timeline view: Drag-select around the set of tasks to be pushed out, then drag any one of them to the right to reschedule all of them as a unit relatively.

Larry

4 Likes

This works with a small set of tasks. For instance, if I’m at the tail end of a project, I can just select a group of tasks and move them but if I’m at the beginning or even in the middle of a project, this is not an option as the view only allows me to zoom out by weeks, months, etc (which is horizontal) but not by the number of tasks (which is vertical).

1 Like

@Derek_AM, Two alternatives:

1. In Timeline, at least on a MacBook Air trackpad, I’m able to scroll and extend the selection vertically (though it takes a little dexterity!), or

2. UPDATE: It seems this feature has been removed:

Removed feature

Another approach is in List view. See How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide and scroll to the section titled Shift multiple due dates in a list which explains how to move an arbitrary multi-selected set of tasks all a day forward or backward repeatedly.

Larry

2 Likes

Hi @Derek_AM

I think @Phil_Seeman has a solution that can move task dates for a project… Am i correct Phil?

Jason.

1 Like

Yes, @Jason_Woods, thanks for the mention!

Hi @Derek_AM - are your project tasks constructed with dependencies? If so, the Auto-Adjust workflow type of my Flowsana integration can help you. If you change the date of a task with dependent tasks, Flowsana will automatically shift the dates of all of its dependent tasks by the same number of days (and this will flow down through a chain of dependencies).

2 Likes

Hi @Phil_Seeman, just signed up for your tool. Making another of several attempts at Asana the last few years, workflows was a big reason I did not come over yet.

One question - sorry if this was obvious but doesn’t seem clear to me here - can your tool move the project dates as task dates move around? In particular, the project end date adjusting as dependent tasks adjust past the original end date?

Thanks and looking forward to testing out Flowsana!

1 Like

Flowsana doesn’t currently do that. I don’t think I’d ever add that specific feature - I think it would be a bit presumptuous to change the project end date; however, what is on the Flowsana road map is an option that would notify the user if a change to a task due date causes that date to extend past the project end date.

2 Likes

Thank you Phil. I decided to add a post about this, turns out there was one already, so perhaps this will get natively into Asana and you won’t need to add it to Flowsana!

Thanks again, Cheers!

In case it helps someone else… I just found a workaround using Instagantt (free). You just need to load your project and move the section bar to adapt the date of all tasks within that section.

3 Likes

HI! Wondering if you know if this feature has been added ? I agree. We have projects templates that I duplicate, the tasks don’t change by the end due date does which effects the due date for all previous tasks.
Thanks,