Can a user automatically populate a template for each new task that’s created on a board instead of duplicating the task?

This is a question from one of my teammates and I can’t seem to find the answer on here. If it’s been answered before, I apologize and hope you can point me to it.

Thanks!

If I understand well, you have a template task and you duplicate it to create a new task so that it automatically contains info you may have added in the template task, am I right?

If yes, then this is the only solution. You can’t create a new task which would be automatically filled in with info, but that’s a good idea :+1:

1 Like

Hey Julien, looks like you understood me correctly! Thanks for the quick reply… and yeah, it would be awesome if that is a possibility in the future.

My teammate came to me with the following Asana questions and I’m trying to answer what I can find:

1. Automatically update subtask names based on changes to the main task name. For example:

2. Main task name: [11/12] CORE - Email Onboarding EM3+6

3. Sub-task names:

1. [11/12] CORE - Email Onboarding EM3+6 - BRIEF DEVELOPMENT
2. [11/12] CORE - Email Onboarding EM3+6 - CREATIVE WIREFRAMING
3. Etc etc
  1. If I update [11/12] CORE - Email Onboarding EM3+6 → [11/15] CORE - Email Onboarding EM3+6, can the subsequent subtask names get updated as well?

2. Automatically generate/waterfall subtask due dates based on changes to due dates for earlier subtasks, or based on preset timing rules, like a gantt chart

3. Automatically assign each subtask to a particular person, depending on the type of subtask. Perhaps if the template is pre-assigned to a specific person, can that assignment translate over to the new task?

4. Automatically populate the template for each new task that’s created on this board instead of duplicating the task?

5. Automatically move a project to different columns depending on specific subtask completion?

1 Like

Hi @anon83602071!

1. Automatically update subtask names based on changes to the main task name.

This is currently not possible, I suggest you to add your vote here: Possible to create a dynamic task name for task based on routines

1. Automatically generate/waterfall subtask due dates based on changes to due dates for earlier subtasks, or based on preset timing rules, like a gantt chart

2. Automatically assign each subtask to a particular person, depending on the type of subtask. Perhaps if the template is pre-assigned to a specific person, can that assignment translate over to the new task?

3. Automatically populate the template for each new task that’s created on this board instead of duplicating the task?

You can have a look at this thread, I believe you can achieve some of these points with the Flowsana integration: Automatically add subtasks from a template, auto-create new projects, automate your tasks from a project end date - new in Flowsana
Using Rules in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide cc @Phil_Seeman

1. Automatically move a project to different columns depending on specific subtask completion?

You can achieve this using Rules, please first make sure to add the subtasks to the project.

2 Likes

Thank you, Emily!

1 Like