Board view: single-select field into columns

One of the few things I miss about other work management tools is the ability to choose how I’m grouping my board/kanban view independently from other views of the project. I’m a consultant, and I work on a discrete set of deliverables that are associated with sections of the project plan (these sections are called workstreams).

What’s Working
In listview, I like to see my progress by workstream, so I set up my sections to show the workstream (Build, Test, Deploy). I create a Status custom field to track the status (To Do, In Progress, In Review, Complete).

What’s Not Working
In board view, I see a long list of tasks for each workstream, and a badge showing its status.

What I’d Like
My dream scenario would be this: In board view, I get to select a field to group my cards by. I can choose either the task’s project section or a single-select field – but really, if I had to pick one, I’d pick a single-select field and remove grouping by section entirely.

Request
Is there a workaround to this functionality? Is this something others would like to see as well?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @anon42296454, thank you for providing this detailed feedback!

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,
Unfortunately this new topic is pretty different from my idea. Delivering sorts within sections, while nice, wouldn’t get me closer to being able to group by a single select field. When I say “group by”, I mean change the headers in board view to the different values of a single-select field.
Thanks,
Allison

Thanks for clarifying, @anon42296454! I’ve gone ahead and moved this topic back and updated the title to reflect your request more closely :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much! Looking forward to the conversation here.

1 Like

Hi @anon42296454 I can see this as a solution in some of my own projects,
A workaround is to use Status you created as the Section names and then create a custom field for your Workstreams. Then you can have the board view for Status (To Do, In Progress, In Review, Complete) and sort the list view by Custom field: Workstreams.

PS. I added my vote

2 Likes

The PM I work with the most really wants sections to be based on workstreams… but yes–that’s definitely a workaround :slight_smile:

You’ve got my vote too!
I just made a Use Case that might help you keep the feel of a Team Kanban Project flow in Asana.

Yeah you guys def need to nee able to view boards by single-select columns

Any progress here? Clickup does this rather handily in its Board view.