Best way to duplicate/copy a task to multiple projects?

We have templated tasks that often require updating and pushing to multiple different projects. While there is functionality and methods to add the task to multiple projects, we need these tasks to be unique and separate.

Is there a way to easily duplicate and copy a specific tasks to multiple projects? If not, what is the best way to do this?

I am currently just copying the task multiple times, then going in each one and assigning them to the specific projects within each task and then removing it from the original project.

However, due to the time it takes to copy these large tasks, it is quite time consuming.

Thanks!
-nick.

6 Likes

@Nick Do all tasks in your current template projects get directed in entirety to another project? If that is the case, why not use the copy project feature? Or are you saying that only certain tasks get directed within a template to various projects. If so, could your templates be refined? In addition, I assume you are familiar with the multi-select feature for tasks where you can edit multiple tasks at the same time, including deleting and adding a second project.

Thanks for your reply @James_Carl.

Do all tasks in your current template projects get directed in entirety to another project? If that is the case, why not use the copy project feature?

No, not all tasks get directed, only one specific task need to be copied whenever we update something within that task template. That update in the template has to be disseminated to the template task in all active projects.

Or are you saying that only certain tasks get directed within a template to various projects. If so, could your templates be refined?

This is part of the process of refining our task templates. We have an overall ‘Project’ template we duplicate for whenever a new client starts. This project contains template tasks for the client journey as we work through our client engagement. As we refine the template tasks, we have to distribute the updated task from the template project to all currently active projects.

In addition, I assume you are familiar with the multi-select feature for tasks where you can edit multiple tasks at the same time

I am familiar with the multi-select but only for within the same project/task hierarchal level. If there was a way to multi-select tasks and edit subtasks within the multiple tasks at once, it may be an alternative solution to what we are trying to do to disseminate updated task templates to all active projects.

including deleting and adding a second project.

The duplication/copy function we need is entirely at the task/subtask level, not the project level.

I hope that clarifies things, it’s kind of tough to describe it all via text. Let me know if there’s any confusion.

3 Likes

Any answer to @Nick 's question? I have the same issue. I only need specific tasks duplicated to a different project including attachments but I do not want to duplicate the entire project. For example: I am working on a product registration for Malaysia. I assign the task out to get the ingredient list from a teammate. Once received I would like to duplicate this task to register this product in Taiwan as well. I just need this task duplicated.

@Nick we might be able to help at Templana.com. Our template are stored as JSON files, that might be easier to do a mass update isn’t it? And you would get one instance of each task. Or maybe I did not understand your issue.

@Peter_Anderson manual task duplication in Asana does not work for you?

The way I am figured out to make it work was to manually duplicate the task and then drag and drop it into the correct project. Seems to work.

1 Like

@Peter_Anderson I’m doing that right now. Is there an easy way to duplicate a project besides copying and downloading all attachments and then re-uploading them to a new task

Please implement this feature! I’m having the exact same frustration.

18 Likes

Agreed with everyone here.

It would be awesome to simply open a template project, copy a task and send it directly to another project.

I personally have a processes project I’ve set up that houses my processes and the tasks in each process.

Depending on the client work I’m doing, I need to copy tasks from the processes project to a new client project. It may be all of the processes, it may be a few of them. So it would be awesome to be able to easily copy a single task and push it to a project of my choosing.

8 Likes

Having the same issue here. We have 150+ projects that sometimes we need a task copied to all 150 (very time consuming). It would be great if the assign copies to users could also have a assign copies to projects (in a specific team).

I would also settle for the ability to do a CSV import that adds a new task to an existing project.

3 Likes

@Richard_Uruchurtu I am just curious, what kind of task and projects are we talking about that would require you to copy it 150 times? :scream:

We are an agency and each project represents a client. Occasionally we need to make sure a task is completed for every client (i.e. make sure all clients are following GDPR guidelines).

3 Likes

That is indeed a tough one… If this is indeed something that happens quite often, a solution using the API would be best. I am available if you want to discuss it.

Your 150 projects are managed by how many project managers? Maybe you can delegate the task to the top managers that delegates it to their managers below and so on, so that it is not one person that does the job?

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

That is primarily the way we do it now. We assign a task to all ~15 project mangers to duplicate a task into each of their ~10 projects.

This works for now but creates an opportunity for human error…so we have to double check a lot of them time to make it was properly implemented.

So the API would be a solution for you. An interface with a field to create a task that is then created everywhere. How often do you have to do this?

It’s not very common. Maybe once a month. Could be more often if we had the functionality, but we tend to avoid it right now because of the complexity.

1 Like

You can have a virtual assistant do the work :slight_smile:

Not a bad idea but I would really like to be able to do it programmatically :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then build a tool or have someone build it :slight_smile:

Hi Bastien - I’m curious about using an API. I have to roll out task updates or new tasks to multiple projects on multiple teams (clients). I’m currently sitting here duplicating a task 13 times because I need to shove it out to everyone. Where can I find more info about the API?