Best way to duplicate/copy a task to multiple projects?

This is the official documentation: Asana Developers - API, Documentation & Community Support • Asana
and if you need a developer to help you can ask me (I also created Asana Experts)

Is there a built in solution for this yet? There is a still strong business case for this to exist.

3 Likes

So is there now a way to duplicate a task in a different project within a workspace?

Yes, this can be done. Highlight the task and click the menu option with three dots for more options and select “Add to another project”. You can also select multiple tasks by holding down CTRL as you select tasks then click the option on the little menu that pops up at the bottom of the screen to Edit Project or Section. There you can the whole list of tasks to a different project and specify the specific section you want to add it to in the project.

The problem with this that when you check off the task in one project it takes it off all of them. Is there another way so the tasks just copy to another project and are unlinked?

1 Like

Yes it is the same task indeed.

Well yes, duplicate from the task menu. But one project at a time.

Is there still no solution for this on Asana’s side? This is a much needed feature for normal business operations.

2 Likes

I badly need this feature myself. I am managing multiple people and sometime I want to copy one task to all of their projects as certain activities need to be done on each and every account.

How can I do this? When I check the forum there are multiple users asking for the same.

2 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman

@anon50774639 I’ll reach out privately to discuss a custom solution then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use this method.
1 - duplicate the task you want to copy
2 - assign the duplicated task to the new project with the function “add this task to another project”
3 - delete the duplicated task from the original project

A dedicated option “copy task” would be much appreciated, and is quite shocking it has not been developed yet IMHO

3 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman, is there a solution to this yet? I would also like to copy tasks to multiple projects.

2 Likes

@Katerina_Kerr no, you still have to manually duplicate and then multi-home.

Another detail: if you’d like to copy a section with several tasks that you reuse in many projects:

1. Create a task with the section name and create all the subtasks.

2. Now, you can duplicate the parent task (that has your section name) and move that task to whichever project (via the method you described: assigning them to the specific projects within each task and then removing it from the original project.)

3. Open that project and open the task with your section name

4. Multiselect the subtasks and drag them under the section you want them in.

Ridiculous. but it works.

2 Likes

@Azriel_Zylberberg this is indeed a good workaround. I suggest the same when people ask for a section template, I have them create a task template instead.

Alternatively:

1. Duplicate your project (creates a true copy of tasks)

2. Multiselect the tasks you want to move

3. Add the tasks to whichever project you’d like

4. Delete the duplicated project

You’ll have to do this over and over for each project that needs this set of tasks.

1 Like