🏆 Asana Contest: How do you use Asana across teams?

Hi Asana community! :wave:

Our biggest suite of feature updates this year was announced last week so we can enable you and your team to implement plans and focus on what matters. With that, we would love to see how you are using Asana across teams in your Organisation, learn from your use cases and celebrate your Asana use!

Tell us about a time you creatively worked with a team outside of your department using Asana!

Did you create an intake process using Forms to streamline how you accept bug reports from other teams? :beetle: Did you utilise the People custom field to differentiate the roles of those involved in an event you planned? :microphone:

The details :arrow_down:

:ballot_box: We will be collecting entries (a few sentences will suffice!) from today through October 28 in the comments below.

:trophy: As a token of our appreciation for sharing your cross-functional Asana use cases, we will randomly award 10 commenters with a $30 Amazon gift voucher!

:eyes: Please remember that your submissions will be visible to all Forum members, so please don’t include any confidential information.

:earth_americas: Unfortunately, some countries prohibit these sorts of events, so please check the list of eligible countries in our guidelines to make sure your country is there.

:scroll: You can find all participation guidelines, including how and when winners will be chosen, here.

We can’t wait to hear your cross-functional Asana use cases! :speech_balloon:

5 Likes

Yes, some very good features are being released.
Here is one user case:
Project team already constitutes of 4 departments: Operations, IT, Quality, Compliance.

• Quality proposed new tech solutions to be used to introduce some business efficiencies
  • Solutions passed on to IT for review. IT reviewed and approved
  • Solutions (tasks) passed on members of the compliance team to review and approve. Once they got approved;
  • project moved to pilot stage back with operations and pilot stage kicked off
2 Likes

Hello,

This is my submission for a time you creatively worked with a team outside
of your department using Asana.

In my company, I was initially part of the Operations team and the rollout
team for Asana. When we introduced the tool to the company, we (the Asana
Captains) spearheaded the effort by meeting weekly, giving company
presentations and training and answering questions. All that is to say,
that I was well versed in all the features and potential of Asana.

I recently transitioned from Operations to Data Science, and I was eager to
bring my operational mindset to streamline some of the processes that we
have. One issue that was brought up within the Data team was the different
questions that we get asked about our data. This is currently just living
in Slack with no easy way to search, tag, or reference questions.
Immediately, my mind jumped to using Asana and within the afternoon I
created a project board, intake form and a process to answer questions. I
even created an integration so these are sent to our Jira board so we can
keep track of it.

We’re able to answer questions and analyse data around where the gaps in
company knowledge are. Using that knowledge, we have set up different
sessions deep-diving into different topics where not only can the original
teammate get their question answered, but other teams can attend and learn
something too!

It’s made a big difference to how the team is interacting with the wider
company and really wanted to share that with you!

Let me know if you have any questions about it and thanks again.

Cheers,

Richelle

4 Likes

My team supports institutions of higher education across the US. Our network is constantly evolving as institutions’ contacts continue to change. We utilize Asana to track our communication, progression through our program, interest, and engagement.

A feature that we utilize in various ways is the Asana Form. We utilize this as an intake process for new institutions to express interest in our programs. This allows us to track the communications with the submitter and move them to different projects as they journey through our program. When contacts change we utilize another form to update contacts which includes granting them access to various software we utilize, our contact list, and event registrations. Finally, we utilize the forms for the submission of materials including jobs or awards. The forms feed and inform various projects we utilize across Asana.

4 Likes

Hey all!
We are a holding of 3 companies based in different countries, so it was a crucial moment to have some across-team features in Asana to be used to make some processes crystal clear and transparent to everybody regardless of their team.

using Forms
This feature allowed us to effectively used our remote Help Desk department. Everyone in the company could fill out the form, and immediately tasks are created in the proper board.
I highly recommend this ready template Free IT Requests Template for Support Tickets [2023] • Asana

We also created a board where all the time off is shown - so that any team member can have access and see when his colleague is off and stop bothering him with e-mails :grinning: ) We used this with help form submission as well.

People custom field
As long we have different teams and projects, and people in charge, ofc, are different ones, we were super happy when we got the possibility to use the People custom field to highlight the Approver of tasks. Now there are no more questions "who should watch the task and confirm that “all is good to go”. Even though the Approvals are more suitable for literally approving the task - the custom field mentioning approvers is useful for more guidance.

4 Likes

Forms > Boards > Tasks

We use Asana to connect with our Customer Success, Sales and Partnership teams. As internal consultants, we provide intake forms to Sales and CS, then we triage and decide if it should be handled by one of our smaller consulting teams or if it should pass over to Partnerships. We’re able to keep our team organized with rules and Partnerships looped in via Slack notifications.

4 Likes

At our company, we often work with various teams, especially when planning special sales events or marketing campaigns as this will not only require the help of the marketing team, but also design, paid marketing, web development, customer support and sometimes also parties outside of our organization (for example when we prepare a campaign in collab with an influencer)

Features we are using and how we work together:

• Project template that contains all key tasks
  • Various Task templates
  • Forms (to submit ideas around a special sales event or also to submit problems or questions)
  • Goals (these would include by when we want to have the campaign set up with all its tasks but also what conversion and click rate we would like to achieve for special newsletters around this campaign or goals for paid marketing such as cost per click, cost per acquisition, etc)
  • Reports are key also
  • And of course rules and custom fields (the date field has proven to be very helpful)
4 Likes

At my company, we use Asana to intake creative production and content placement requests from many different teams, such as Marketing, Sponsorship/Sales, Data, HR, Community Relations, etc. Employees submit their request via one of three forms (creative production, digital placement, or stadium design) and all requests fall into one master Content project. We use custom Fields to add additional helpful data, such as Department, Requestor, Creative Type (photo, video, digital design, print design, copy) from the form. Collaborators from different teams (such as designers, videographers, animators, etc) are automatically added depending on Field data. Each task is also automatically multihomed into smaller projects for smaller teams based on Field data. For example, all creative request tasks live in the Master project but also live in smaller projects for the video team and photography team based on the Creative Type field. We use Saved Searches to pull tasks all submitted by one department, such as Marketing creative requests or Sales creative requests, to review in weekly meetings. We utilize the Comment feature in each tasks to communicate with different team members and get feedback/approvals.

4 Likes

From an organizational view, my organization is using Asana to support our strategic plan. We are utilizing the company goals feature and subgoals to easily track our benchmarks and objectives. We report on each goal on a quarter basis. From a team view, each department is a team and is using portfolios and workflows to categorize and streamline their work. The projects that the teams use support the automatic completion of our strategic planning projects. Additionally, I’m one part of a two person team within project management. My leadership and I use a 1:1 project to communicate to-do tasks, manage our weekly objectives, and communicate deadlines on current projects. Looking forward to hearing all of the best practices! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Hey folks,

Here at my place of work, we use Asana as out Marketing Hub of choice, we use the suite and in particular project dashboards as a home for all of our large or small actions.

Each team member has their own dashboard and subset of tasks which they individually manage. (Graphic Designer, Marketing Manager, Social Media Manager, Marketing Executive, Web Manager, Marketing Director).

Tasks get tagged and moved back and forth between members depending on each stage of a projects lifecycle.

The suite is also connected to our inhouse IT team for further collaboration on some of their related tasks or for valued feedback on our work.

We use woofoo webforms to allow the rest of the business to send us new tasks, projects or helpdesk tickets for resolution. We have also recently integrated the outlook app add-on to see if this helps drive more value.

I also use ASANA for my own side hustle to monitor and organise my ever growing task list.

2 Likes

While I was in Conference Operations with the non-profit I worked with we used Asana as our conference request form (many departments and teams requested our conference ops help) which then activated a 10-subtask ticket which included assigning tasks based on form answers (love me some auto-assign!) and included our contracting team and finance team. With our finance team, when new requests came it, they were added as collaborators and, I believe, had their task multi-homed into their “workflow” project which allowed them to quickly see requests and divvy up their work. We only worked with 1 conference & events finance person who managed their worked and kept our team up-to-date in the comments of the task (which came from form submission).

In steps, its something like this:

1. Form Submission from other team
  2. Asana works magic and assigns parent task and 10 subtasks
  3. Finance team lead is assigned one subtask and begins their workflow; multi-homing the request
  4. Conversation happens and information is shared on the submission / parent task and things move forward
3 Likes

We love Asana! As a project-based company, Asana serves as the foundation for our organization to manage both our internal operations and external-facing client projects. With the Everhour integration we then are able to track our time by project/task, incorporate project budgets, and distinguish which tasks are considered billable vs. non-billable. This provides us with data to create future project budget estimates.

In addition, we use Asana to house our strategic plan. We transitioned from building our strategic plan in Excel to Asana in order to centralize our strategic planning process in one software. We then leverage the Asana goal feature to highlight our annual strategic goals. We love that the goals feature can be measured by task completion associated among several different project boards. We also created a strategic goal custom field that allows us to identify within specific boards which tasks are associated with a corresponding goal. This allows us to utilize our Asana+Everhour integration to pull reports to track time and effort spent towards completing individual strategic goals.

3 Likes

I am relatively new to Asana, but the school I recently joined uses it for every meeting, personnel goal planning, committee work, and that is just the things I am aware of so far. Not sure we are using things most efficiently or effectively yet, which is why I joined the ambassador program to learn more and get better insight into how to use the software. I just upgraded the team from free so that we could take advantage of more features, so I am working on getting us upgrade both in terms of the software and our mindset. Looking forward to connecting with many of you going forward.

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer that cross-team collaboration can be a major factor in how well a team works together, how fast they are able to overcome blockers, and their ability to complete a project from start to finish.

We use Asana as a tool to help navigate cross-team collaboration primarily through the usage of forms to intake requests from other teams. As the project manager for the data engineering/solutions team, this helps limit mid-week distractions so that the team is able to focus on the pre-determined sprint. We, then, have a prioritization meeting where teams can come and speak to the business importance of the task they submitted. This also allows me to preview the tasks and then decide if it’s something that needs to jump the queue or can wait until the next sprint.

2 Likes

The cross-department interaction that I’m most proud of configuring was when I worked with Customer Service to capture feedback about and continuously improve our Product Documentation (owned by a separate team).

1. We configured a form for any agent to provide feedback about what article/information was missing, incorrect, or could otherwise be improved.
  2. The form generated a task, where we could intake, substantiate, and categorize the requests. A Project manager reviewed and filtered the incoming requests. Tags. Effort level. Links to working editable copies, etc.
  3. During the sprint planning, the documentation team prioritized the requests, selecting “batches” of requests to make their work more efficient.
  4. The selected tasks were moved from the “Requests” project into the “Sprint” project, so that we could separately track the active work through its stages (drafting, revision, approval, publication, etc).
  5. Meanwhile we could correspond internally and with the requester or with the editor/approver as the feedback was processed.
  6. Every month, we could use the Advanced Search (Saved Filter View) to track what we had completed and report back to the Customer Service team how their feedback helped us and what improvements they could expect to find - both done and upcoming.
1 Like

We work cross functionally using Asana in many ways, but one prime example:

The product team was previously receiving platform feedback on our internal product via many different means and in many different formats. These requests came from clients, our c suite and the platform support team. The would receive emails, slacks, requests on calls. The information presented came in the form of google docs, bullets in emails, recordings. Sometimes the tickets or requests would be duplicates or even counteract each other because there was no one place to go and see all requests. It didn’t always provide a full picture of what was needed and we couldn’t clearly provide updates and a full picture of all of the tickets being worked on.

We have implemented a process by which anyone who wants to submit a requests enters is via an Asana form. The form sends a task to a ticket/bug tracker. The tracker is accessible to anyone to see what is being worked on and where it stands. All necessary information lives in the form so there is almost no back and forth between the submitter and product.

1 Like

My team uses Asana cross-functionally for several purposes, but one of the most useful is as a communication tool between our operations team, ourselves, and the deployment leads who then communicate with third parties. The operations team can use one of the forms we have created on Asana projects to share potential issues, and we can take that neatly organized info to the board where the information can be shared and answers found. The ability to gather everything in one place, organize as needed, and assign and track are all highly valuable for my team!

2 Likes

I work for a small company as their Systems and Training Manager, and I have been tasked with intergrating the whole company into using Asana as well as continuing with other special projects that include research and bug fixes.

To ensure that I can stay focused integrating into Asana, I created a “Work Requests” project in Asana that allows those in my company to submit a form of their request. This automatically creates it as a task and assigns it to me! This is great, because the request doesn’t get lost in Slack or Email, and it automatically shows the submitter that it has been assigned to me! Also, with the new feature of adding the submitter as a collaborator on the task, they can see in real time a status update as I work on their request!

This has been so beneficial for keeping things moving in the right direction, while also introducing Asana to the company while I get everything integrated! :tada:

2 Likes

At our non-profit, Marketing & Communications the only team that utilizes Asana (though we are working on converting people :slight_smile:) so we have to be quite creative in order to collaborate and create visibility into our team. Some ways we do that in our day to day work include

1. Utilizing Asana forms to create project requests. Other teams have access to our Asana work request forms on our Sharepoint site. The form is automated to send a slack message to a group of directors and project managers who monitor the form so we can begin directing to the correct teams.

2. Public Links to give visibility. To reduce clunkiness in our inbox, we also share a public viewing link into our project board so people can view what stage the project is in and the responsible project manager in case any questions arise or additional materials need to be provided.

3. Integrations to close the loop For projects that require longer collaborations than a single deliverable, we create a unique project in addition to our normal working boards. With the unique project we create automations to a teams channel including the public link and messaging based on events occurring in Asana (task completed, task is unblocked, etc) to create an even more in-depth string of communication.

2 Likes