An advanced (should be simple) reporting challenge - Filtered Tasks to Formatted Google Doc

This SHOULD be simple, but I’ve tried everything I can think of.

Does anyone have a solution for this (Premium tier):

On an ad-hoc, but typically weekly basis, we want to create:

1. A not-ugly report in an editable Google Doc
  2. For a specified Asana list-view project
  3. For all tasks within that project that have a specific tag
  4. With the tasks grouped and under their section headings in the specified project
  5. Including task name, start and end dates, assignee, and whatever else we might choose

Without needing to

• Spend forever tidying up the output every time
  • Go through a whole bunch of export-import steps every single time
  • Go through a chain of four or five tools every single time
  • Rely on PC/Mac based software (i.e. using cloud/browser tools)
  • Write significant custom code (but open to advanced techniques)
  • Pay a fortune (and test out / prove the concept for free)

I’ve tried Bridge24, Asana2Go, Saved Search CSV exports, every listed Asana integrated tool that looked promising, and more besides, and am at the end of my tether. The closest I’ve come is Bridge24, maybe their paid tier reporting can achieve this but getting the free-tier reports into a Google Doc has not resulted in anything presentable.

Even a simple, solid, CSV-to-Custom-Report (with defined grouping and layout etc) in a Google Doc would be helpful, if anyone knows of such a beast.

1 Like

I have a custom solution to generate a web page dashboard 100% customizable. Would that interest you?

1 Like

Perhaps at some point - but it sounds too complex for our current need.

I’m interested. Can you tell me more?

I totally get you, this frustrates me too. I’m having to create reports in Bridge24 but even then they’re not presentable and involve alot of editing afterwards to be sufficient. It really bugs me how we cant create reports in Asana, like it shouldn’t be too hard to just implement a feature that allows you to export selected data in a presentable way.

1 Like

Perhaps this new, all-purpose, dynamic output from Asana2Go could help someone in this thread? (Disclaimer: I’m the creator)

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Hi. I am facing exactly the same challenge. After creating more than 70 projects in Asana for my customer, I am facing this challenge of not being able to download filtered data on Excel in presentable format. This is a very basic requirement which other entry level software provides. I am really astonished that such a basic feature is missing in application of Asana’s magnitude. Due to lack of any solution, I am considering a move to Monday.com.
It will be a painful process to move such a huge data to another platform but seems like I am running out of options. Can somebody help resolving this? I shall be ever grateful. TIA.

@Muneeb_Arif why do you need to extract to Excel, can you share your use case?

Hi Bastien. Thank you for your response.
We are a freight forwarding company handling shipments for a customer who owns multiple Ships (Vessels).
we have created each Vessel as a project for which we manage the logistics and track the shipments as each task in Asana.
Also, we have created a Single Project for our customer to view all the vessels together with relevant information which we want to show them. Customer uses the filter option such as ‘VESSEL NAME’, ‘SHIPMENT STATUS’ & ‘ORIGIN’ to get relevant info regarding these shipments.
They further need to send this filtered data ahead to multiple stakeholders such as Suppliers, Vessel Master & Tech Superintendent.
If they cannot export the filtered data, then it is difficult and time consuming for them to filter, sort and arrange the data in a presentable format from the raw CSV file. My customer is asking me to provide solution to this problem or move to another platform which has this feature of exporting the filtered data. Hence, after investing multiple hours in setting the whole project with loads of data in Asana, now I am stuck :cry:

1 Like

Asana2Go promoted above is definitely the right solution for me. Or a CSV export you import into a pre-built nice Excel spreadsheet. Final solution: get someone like me to build a custom dashboard you can export as a PDF.

We are dealing with the exact same issue - It would be enormously helpful to be able to customize how a CSV/Excel report is exported from the reports tab of a project (ex: which fields to include, what order they should be exported in) as we send out many client-facing updates on the status of projects. Each time I export, it’s all in a random order, and we have to delete half the internal Asana fields such as the assignee, the assignee’s email address, the created date, the task ID #, etc.

@Joanna_Richt, If you haven’t already ruled it out, consider using Asana2Go for CSV generation (disclaimer: I’m the creator):

Thanks,

Larry