Adding subtasks to a Project via "Section dropping"

Stumbled onto this little gem concerning adding subs to the parent project.

If you drag n’ drop a subtask from it’s parent task into the same project it removes that subtask from it’s parent …UNLESS you create a section and drag n’ drop that same sub into it.

Asana peeps: If this is a designed feature, please make these instructions prominent somewhere because I could have used this a looooong time ago. If this is a bug… call it a feature. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I’ll be darned - what an interesting finding! (And thanks for the video illustration, makes it very clear.)

2 Likes

Let’s hope Asana does not fix it because they saw your post :grin::man_facepalming:

1 Like

LOL! I thought the same thing. What have I done?!

1 Like

Great feature spot! I classify this under taskception

1 Like

Very nice… and everyone. We didn’t see this… shhhhh, the force says, it’s all in your minds… hand wave. lol

1 Like

This does not work for me :neutral_face:
Maybe Asana already found and fixed it :frowning_face:
It would be a super useful feature though!

Stills works for me on this end. Did you watch the video link I added in my original post?

I did watch the video, and since posting a colleague also confirmed that it works for them.
I’ve had another go and I see what happened now. I needed to drop it on Section (I expect I dragged into the section but not hovering over the section divider itself).

So it’s working for me now. This is a great feature and one I will be using.

Many thanks for sharing @Brian_Massey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine are not removing from the parent when I assign it to project – it appears both as a task in project and subtask of the original task. Maybe this new change they have made not sure I am just experimenting with the platform to assess potential for my use case.

hmm now it is removing from the parent… im confused. Maybe once this is done to a parent task once it continues that behavior. I am not sure. I am getting different results with another task i am trying the same thing with now…

I did the same thing at first. I would sometimes drop the sub task on top of the section title (which keeps the subs in the parent task) but other times accidentally drop a sub just underneath the section title resulting in the sub being removed from the parent task. It’s a subtle difference and confused me at first but now I can reproduce the desired results every time. The trick is to drag the sub over the section title until you see the section title highlight, then drop on top.