Ability to add sub-sections

Also asking for this. Seems that it’s already baked into the code, just needs to be given access to the user.

I don’t have any information from Asana, but as an old Asana user + developer using the API, I would really not count on this to happen anytime soon. Why do you say @Sean_Stewart that it is into the code?

I actually just realized something today. If you have a custom field in a project + sections, when sorting by this custom fields, you get a “double section” organization: first the custom field then the sections. Maybe that could be tweaked into what you need :thinking:

Would love a way to do Subsections under sections. Some of my projects are templates for a range of projects so being able to delete sections with subsections that have tasks would be a boon .

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on this or show a quick example @Bastien_Siebman?

If you setup like this

and then order by custom field, that gives you 2 levels

7 Likes

I’m loving Asana.
Please give us Sub-Sections. I use Asana as our Company Record and Sub-Sections would make it all more record friendly.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Joseph_Powell! :wave:t5: I’m glad to hear you are loving Asana :heart:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I was able to find an existing thread regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate feedback! I hope it’s OK.
Please don’t forget to upvote it by clicking on the Vote button at the top of the thread!

Have a great week Joseph!

1 Like

That works only if that is your only sorting dimension. We really need this as a native feature

4 Likes

Hello Guys!
Are you planning to add sub-sections?
They could be super helpful when you need to organize your section with more than one category.
For example, I’m a designer and I work on different kinds of briefs, a structure like this could help:

1. Section Youtube Brief
    a. SubSection Translations
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

b. SubSection Original Brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    c. SubSection Old brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

2. Section Social Brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

>Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    c. SubSection Old brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

3. Section Print Brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

>Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    >Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    c. SubSection Old brief
    >Task 1
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3
    > Task 2
    - subtask 1
    - subtask 2
    - subtask 3

I read something similar in this thread:
Ability to add sub-sections

Unfortunately, this suggestion cannot help our workflow. We work a lot with subtasks so if I try to sort the items (adding a personalized field, for example, a drop-down menu 1.old brief 2 translations 3.new briefs) Asana creates 3 sub-sections for each Section but, at the same time, the black arrow (the one that shows the lists of sub-brief) disappears and this is tremendously uncomfortable.

Thank you very much

4 Likes

HI @Marco_Martina and thanks for reaching out!

I don’t believe this is on our near-term plans, but I’m going to make a task to our product team to make sure they keep it in mind for future Section update! In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Ability to add sub-sections - #13 by Kenny_Lemon to keep all feedback on this topic in the same place. I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have some updates on my end!

5 Likes

How did you do this? When I sort by the field, it doesn’t give those Section A, Section B, Section C headers - thanks!

1 Like

I realized a couple of days ago that this behavior is now gone! Sorting by custom fields does not create a section anymore. @Marie can you confirm please?

1 Like

@Darin_Bellisario, @Bastien_Siebman,

Maybe you have “Sort within Section” (at the bottom of the Sort menu) turned on? That gives you only one level–the group sort. Turn that off and you get two levels: 1) group, 2) section.

I just touted this a couple days ago to a major client org so I certainly hope this isn’t changing!

Larry

2 Likes

You are right Larry it was the sort!

2 Likes

Please add this to your near-term plans! We are trialing Asana at the moment and a lot of our projects/tasks are complex and we really need sub-sections to make Asana work for us.

5 Likes

Please add this feature! It is limiting to me (seems like to others as well) otherwise.

I assume that making this change is something fundamental and is hard to do without causing other issues. I say that because it just seems like a basic aspect of any project management tool. Also, you seem to push out so many other features but just skip over this.

It’s like giving me a fantastic meal but never providing just the basics to enjoy it like a fork to eat it with. Just using my hands at the moment and not really that enjoyable.

Please give me a fork!

5 Likes

Any update from Asana on this?

2 Likes

Nope nothing new!

1 Like

Please do add this !
This is the kind of feature that are mandatory for a gantt planning for us.
The lack of the feature really makes the work tideous. I am moving to another platform until the feature is implemented

1 Like