A way to move subtask from a parent task to another parent task?

There are some recurring sub tasks under a parent task, once they are completed, a new one will be created. Is there an easy way to move the new subtask to another parent task which is the next one within list view?

Little bit more details as an example:

Board Meeting Agenda (every month)
Example: December Meeting
Sub task1
Sub task2
etc
Once a subtask is completed, new one will be created for “the next board meeting” within the December meeting task.

Next task: January Meeting

Is it possible to move the new sub tasks from December Meeting task to January Meeting task within list view?

1 Like

You can move subtasks out of the parent by using the drag handle to move it to the main project. From there, you could drag it into another parent task.

However, it sounds like for this scenario you should be setting the parent task up to repeat, not the subtasks.

4 Likes

I find that using Instagantt along with Asana provides the most flexibility for managing tasks. It works with live Asana data, so if I need to do this I switch over to Instagantt and the change is reflected in Asana.

4 Likes

Thanks Paul :slight_smile:

HI. I am trying to move a subtask into another task. I don’t seem to be able to drag and drop it as I would expect to be able to do. Please advise.

3 Likes

You need to drop the subtask into the center pane and then again into the other task. I know this is not ideal :slight_smile:

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

2 Likes

Hi there, Bastien. Would you mind please giving more detail? Does this work in board view, too? I’m not sure what the “center pane” is…

thank you!

3 Likes

Thanks for replying. But I have been trying that all day - it just doesn’t drag into the centre pane. Trying to move “write blog posts” as attached.

2 Likes

@Lori_Williams @rosanne does that help? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p6B31BpwGyVgN2gDfYeClgSXBLdfnzKd/view

3 Likes

Hi guys! Just merging this thread with A way to move subtask from a parent task to another parent task? to avoid duplicates! :slight_smile:

1 Like

YES! thank you @Bastien_Siebman!! YOU ROCK! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem to work in board view. Can someone confirm?

Hi @Michael_Trang, I have the same issue. I’m using board view and added a specific tag to the task’s i’m trying to move so I can search for them. However, I can’t drag them between results.

Has anyone managed this with board view?

1 Like

Thank you for that, Marla.

Using board view in Asana I couldn’t find a way to move subtasks around in Asana.
Moving them around in Instagantt is easy though! I appreciate the tip.

Phil

Any recipe for the Board view? Tabs are really good in Trello, I’ve exported them to Asana but now it’s really painful to trying move subtasks -_-

Hi guys,
I too am looking for a solution for promoting sub-tasks to key project tasks using board view.
Has anyone come up with the solution?
Thanks in advance.

1. Duplicate the subtask ( “main task” unchecked)
  2. Delete the subtask
  3. Rename the duplicated one to aboid the “Duplicate of” text

it wont let me move it to center plain

1 Like

Thanks @paulminors for that tip on using the handles to drag the subtask to the PROJECT. Been using Asana for 7 years and always thought you could only drag a subtask to a list or board. #changedmylife!

1 Like

Hi folks,

We’re currently rolling out a new feature allowing to easily move subtasks to another parent task. This update is currently only available to 25% of our users, but will be soon available to everyone. For more info, check out: Meet our new Task option Menu