What time zone is being used?

I have team members in various time zones and want to specify a meeting time in the task. If I make it 10:00am Central, will my teammate in Pacific see 10:00 am or 8:00 am? Where are time zone settings located?

1 Like

This response from Alexis may give some insight:

Cheers!

3 Likes

I see that Asana uses the timezone set by my browser’s timezone; however that does not seem to be the case here. We are testing Asana for possible use at the company. All of our other systems and our computers indicate the correct time; however all tasks assigned in Asana show up an hour later than actually due. For example, if we book a demo, meeting, task for 4:00 p.m. Mountain Time, it will show correct on our calendars, our platform and other solutions. In Asana it shows scheduled for 5:00 p.m. essentially making the tool worthless. Reminder emails go out based on the incorrect time. Any suggestion on how this can be fixed? Note again, that all other solutions we use as well as out computers and browser’s timezones are set for the correct time and zone. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Al_Wynant! Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this inconvenience. It sounds like daylight savings may have caused some issues. Nevertheless the time should show up in local time based on your browser settings. Our product team is aware of persistent time zone issues, but this feels like something new. I suggest that you report this specifically to our support team here and you can let them know Alexis referred you – Asana Support - Help Center • Asana . Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Slightly annoyed it has taken 5 days to get a non-response back. I thought that this was a board for the support team. I’ll submit at the link provided.

We can understand where you’re coming from, @Al_Wynant. This Community is definitely a place to get Asana help and it provides a unique opportunity for Asana customers to share tips with each other. We’ll always be happy to help you here! You can also always find our support team at Asana Support - Help Center • Asana.

Hi! I’m really confused about the notification feature in Asana. Why am I getting a notification at 4am that a task is due today, when it is already 4 hours overdue? This is not helpful at all. Why can’t we manually set the time zone in Asana? And set the notifications to fire when we need them to, not at some
random time. Thanks

3 Likes

I’m having an issue where the task list gets a day ahead of itself at some point in the afternoon/evening, so if I need an accurate list of 'today’s to-dos, I have to look at ‘Yesterday’. Can you please make it so we can manually set the time zone? My browser’s time setting is fine; it is only Asana where I have issues.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that – for me, at least – Asana doesn’t use the time zone set in my browser. I’m in Central Europe time. I’ve just set a project deadline for May 29 at 5:30 p.m. my time; that’s the time of the meeting in Central Europe, but it’s 8:30 a.m. Pacific time in the US. However, team in the US doesn’t see May 29 at 8:30 a.m. as the deadline; they see my time: May 29 at 5:30 p.m. That’s a big problem, requiring me to manually calculate deadlines into the target time zone of my colleagues.

3 Likes

You may want to check your Chrome settings to make certain it is still correct:
Change your default location settings in Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top-right, click More More and then Settings.
At the bottom, click Advanced.
Under ‘Privacy and security’, click Content settings.
Click Location.
Turn Ask before accessing on or off.
To change the settings for a specific site, learn how to add and edit exceptions.

Using Chrome or a Chromebook at work or school? Your network administrator might set location settings for you. Learn about using a managed Chrome device.

1 Like

I would like to change my timezone. When I look in settings, I can’t see that option. It seems to be not setup for my timezone. I orginally created my account as part of someone else’s workspace, do you think this is why?

Could you help me figure out how to do this? Thank you!

Willow

@Willow_Paule - There isn’t a setting for Timezone, it uses the Timezone setting from your computer to determine the date and time. So there isn’t anything you need to change, as long as your computer validates and knows the right timezone you should be fine.

Here is the article Asana FAQs and common questions | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Jason.

1 Like

Ah, thanks, @Jason_Woods I wonder if using a VPN that sets my location in a different timezone while creating specific tasks would affect their time in my Asana calendar? Maybe that’s why things seem off sometimes?

@Willow_Paule No worries… Yeah it probably does relate to the VPN… You might have to specifically change the Time and Timezone inside the VPN.

Jason.

1 Like

Hi @Alexis, why not have a setting in user profile for preferred time zone? You can use this setting then for online use as well as emails.

6 Likes

Hello–After creating my own Workspace and getting off someone else’s space, I am still unfortunately having the same problems as before with times being very screwy. I will set a task to repeat weekly on Monday, and when I come back to it, it has changed to being due Tuesday. It makes it hard to track my work well.

I checked my Chrome Location settings and they are as suggested in this thread. I do, very occasionally, use a VPN to mask my location because sometimes I cannot access certain sites in the US. (I live in SE Asia). But, if that were really affecting things, wouldn’t everything go back to normal once I returned to my own time zone? I use the VPN for maybe 20 minutes at a time.

Or is Asana designed primarily for US users and not intended for international use? I am really confused about this! Thanks for any help you can offer.

It seems that Asana makes a classic mistake - making a guess (based on browser location) and then not allowing it to be overridden.

I’ve found the only way to get Asana to behave correctly with timezones is to clear back to the location wanted - e.g. deactivate VPN, etc then restart browser.

1 Like

Hi @Mitra_Ardron and thank you for reaching out! :wave:

You are correct here. It’s currently not possible to manually change your time zone within Asana as it is determined based on your IP address. You can read more about it here.

We have a thread in the #productfeedback category requesting to manually set and fix timezone. If you haven’t yet, feel free to add your vote and comment to it: Manually set and fix time zone

Have a great day!

I don’t think it might be effective as much but I don’t know if anyone knows or not that in Dubai there is a law called uae vpn law that prevents using the VPN locally.