Managing time zone preferences

Hey folks, I’ve seen this discussed a few other posts, but I have yet to find the answer I’m looking for:
I work in a location that is in the ET time zone.
However, our core team works in PT and all of our due dates/times are decided based on PT.
The problem is, because Asana sees me as being in ET, every day I’m forced to do the -3 hour conversion in my head when I’m adding times to tasks so I give them the correct PT time. It’s pretty awful.
Is there really no way for me to tell Asana to consider me located in PT or some similar workaround?
I CANNOT be the only person who struggles with this.
Thank you!

3 Likes

Hello @SirHomeALot

the due dates should definitely always reflect everybody’s local time see Due Time and Time Zones - #3 by Marie

If that is not the case for you please go through the troubleshooting steps to see if that helps.

Only when rules based on time‘s are created it will consider the time from the creator, see Time zone not updating - #9 by Rebecca_McGrath

1 Like

yes, Asana is giving him tasks in his local timezone and I think that’s his problem. He wants to set himself to a different local timezone to match the rest of his team

1 Like

Do you use a VPN? If you do, you probably can choose an IP address in the timezone you want to be in and Asana will think you’re there.

1 Like

Thanks Andrea, but I think you may have misunderstood the ask here.
In that post you shared, it says “Due time should definitely show up in the local time, no matter where you’re located. So a task due at 5:00pm easter time should be due at 2pm Pacific Time.”
But that’s not what I want. I want to be able to set a PT time while working from an ET location.
E.g.:
The team has decided the task should be due at 3pm PT. As the creator of the task, and as someone working in ET, if I set the time on the task, I have convert it, from 3PM PT to 6PM ET and enter that on my end.
This is what I’m trying to avoid.
I want to be able to input PT times despite being located in ET.
So when I enter 3PM here in Toronto, Asana understands that I mean 3PM PT, not ET.
I hope that clarifies!

1 Like

Ah okay thanks for clarifying @SirHomeALot !

It’s been a year since I raised this concern. Any progress toward letting users set a timezone instead of always using the device’s timezone?

2 Likes

Note: Not a solution but marked as such to elevate a key reply

@SirHomeALot,

Asana will post when they have news but otherwise doesn’t comment usually.

You asked earlier for a workaround and I offer a couple here (sorry, didn’t know about this thread when I responded there):

Have a look at that post and thread and perhaps that will help.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for this, however I suspect it won’t work for me for two reasons: I use the Asana Mac app, which I doubt would be affected by this Chrome change, and, I use chrome for gmail, calendar, etc, which I suspect would be affected by such a change. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

@SirHomeALot, You could use a Chrome profile and run Asana’s web interface (and not your other tools) so it wouldn’t affect other apps, but you’d need to use the browser Asana interface for this use, while continuing to use the Asana desktop interface for all others. If not helpful for you, perhaps for someone else.

Thanks,

Larry

Agreed, this is a workaround, but given the growing number of folks who use Asana to collaborate across time zones, a workaround makes little sense. The Asana team needs to let users set their preferred time zone within their user profile, or, better yet, let them set preferred time zones per workspace. That way, those who use Asana to collaborate with different teams and organizations can set-it-and-forget-it, knowing they’ll always be using the right time zone for their team.

5 Likes

Having the same issue. There should be a simple fix for this. I need to know how I can have Asana follow the timezone on my mac, not my location :smiling_face_with_tear:

I’m having the same issues. I have multiple team members in different timezones than myself and we always get confused… Hopefully Asana adds this feature in.

Similar issue here. I prefer to keep my laptop on my team’s timezone (PST) for scheduling meetings and comms, but I want my Slack and Asana to reflect my time zone primarily so teammates can see my actual availability for messaging purposes.

1 Like

This issue is one of the reasons our team is unlikely to keep using Asana after the trial.