Time zone incorrect after travelling

After I have travelled through multiple time zones Asana doesn’t know the current day. Tasks due “Today” are still in the Upcoming or Later Queue and never move to Today. Tasks due earlier in the day still show as green.

Clocks on both the OS and Calendar programs (macOS/Outlook) are correct and nothing I have tried (restarts, etc.) gets this behavior working again.

A marked solution from Alexis on a similar issue refers to “browser’s time zone” - but browsers don’t have a timezone setting as they get it from the parent operating system. When this is wrong, where/how can this be reset/checked?

Thanks for reaching out @Lex! I believe that timezones are automatically determined by your IP address; has yours been adjusted recently? or are you using a VPN by any chance?

I thought @Marie was wrong for once, but Asana docs agree with her.

@Marie The issue did eventually correct itself but it took about a day. I was not using a VPN. but had just returned from several international destinations in different time zones and I had the same problem there. So it seems to be IP that changes it, but with an introduced delay.

Please consider a manual setting for time zone, or at least a way to check what it is.

In addition to VPN, one can also use the internet on planes - and if someone (like me) wants to review their task list on a long haul flight, having the system unpredictably change the time zone, or stubbornly remain where I was instead of where I’m going, can be problematic.

1 Like

Thanks for following up and flagging this issue @Lex; I’m glad to hear that it eventually fixed itself! I can’t promise if or when this will be implemented, but I would recommend adding your vote to this thread from our #productfeedback category: Manually set and fix time zone

1 Like

I’m surprised to see that this issue still exists…because my team and I are going through this headache as we speak…and it’s August 2020. We’re spread across the US, Singapore, and several countries in Europe. We were asked to stop using another online program and to start using Asana for our social media calendar, and now, we have to manually add and subtract hours from the calendar to know what time the content will publish vis-a-vis the HQ country. I reiterate, it’s August 2020…and online tools with much lesser capabilities have been able to implement this very simple ‘fix’. Puzzling why Asana’s dev. team can’t. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @anon43219174,

Just to clarify, timezones in Asana are automatically set based on your device timezone. If you’re based in the US and work on a task with a due date that was created by folks based in Europe, you will see the due time in your timezone, but this due time will remain the same.

If you’d like to see this due time in multiple timezones, I’d recommend creating a new #productfeedback so other folks can upvote and support your request! If you’d like to be able to set your due date manually make sure to support this existing #productfeedback Manually set and fix time zone;

Hope this helps to clear things up :slight_smile:

1 Like