We're adding conditional logic to Rules!

Hello :wave:t3:

We have some exciting news to share with you today! Just last October, we launched Rules in Asana for the very first time! Today, I’m excited to announce that we’re adding a new Conditional Logic capacity to Rules :tada: This means that going forward, you will be able to create Rules using multiple Triggers (up to 20) and multiple Actions (up to 5).

Please find below more information and details about this new feature:

Multiple Triggers:

• Use AND when you want all triggers you’ve selected to happen before the action(s) happens
  • Use OR when you want at least one of the triggers selected to happen before the action is taken

Multiple Actions:

• It is not possible to specify the order the actions happen in.
  • It is not possible to add the same trigger more than once.

And of course, you can check out our guide article which has just been revamped for the occasion!

This update is already fully rolled out :tada: We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your feedback!

Have all a wonderful day :sparkles:

Please note that Conditional Rules are currently only available to Business customers (Premium customers will continue to have access to pre-set Rules)

8 Likes

My co-workers were only slightly concerned at my loud gasp of excitement for this!!! Thank you thank you!!!

5 Likes

Great stuff Asana team!

3 Likes

@Marie I was kinda confused when reading your instructions on using the AND / OR triggers and going to the guide didn’t help either.

I finally discovered the drop down menu that will appear above the first trigger when adding at least 2 or more Triggers to the Rule. But even then the terminology of the drop down menu is “When all of these triggers happen” and “When any of these triggers happen”.

Just my 2 cents but it might be something to consider when describing this new feature and a screen shot or gif using this “All / Any” feature would go a long way as well :slight_smile: Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 4.04.53 PM

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback @Brian_Massey, i’ll pass it on to our guide team and will keep it in mind too for future forum announcements too!

1 Like

I’m slightly confused by your post wording… you say that conditional logic is available to *all your customers… but then add a disclaimer saying it’s only available to your business subscribers. So is it all or just the business subscribers?

Here is what I’m referring to:

This update is already available to all our customers :tada: so we hope you enjoy it and look forward to your feedback!

Have all a wonderful day :sparkles:

Please note that Conditional Rules are currently only available to Business customers (Premium customers will continue to have access to pre-set Rules)

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @TylerNow, I’ve just edited my initial post to avoid any confusion!

1 Like

I hope moving forward Asana discontinues making all these super updates only for business customers. At the very least, you should allow teams within an organization to purchase business accounts. Right now if I wanted to upgrade the few that would benefit from these features, they would no longer be able to communicate with our teams that only need Premium. I know I’m growing old of hearing about all these new features that we can never take advantage of because we can not double our user cost for everyone in our organization.

3 Likes

Any plans to up the maximum number of rules in a project from 20?

I can think of at least 100 rules I’d like to put into my main project

You can, as I understand it! Contact Asana Sales and they can set things up so just one team has Business. See this post: