Update Advanced Search - AND / OR Functionality

I would love to see the advanced search have the option to do AND or OR searches. Also to be able to search on sections or columns would be a much appreciated improvement!

7 Likes

Hi,

I am trying to build a report that is showing tasks that have been completed within the last 7 days AND tasks that are due within the next 7 days and sort them by assignee. The goal is to see what has been done and what is coming up for my staff from different teams/project.

As far as I am aware there is no way to achieve this. Am i missing something?
Adding Filters for “completed within XX” AND “due in XX” only shows tasks that have been completed in the past but would be due in the future.

regards,
Markus

1 Like

Hi @Markus_Hohlbein!

You could run the Search below, but it won’t automatically update, so you would have to update the dates manually every time you need this report!

Unfortunately as it stands, there is no option to have one condition (=completed) for the last 7 days and another condition (Incomplete) for the next 7 days.

My apologies that I can’t be of greater assistance, but I hope this helps to clear things up!

Hi all!
I am missing some advanced functions in Asanas advanced search.

Firstly could it be possible to add functions like “AND / OR” ? This will also include the ability to connect several statements into groups.
This could sounds like “If status is Open OR (priority is high and status is not closed)”

Secondly is it possible to get some Asana Query Language to setup Filters? We switched from JIRA and got addicted to the JQL and miss now the ability to easily share filters across the board.

Last but not least I am missing the ability to add a custom field twice. I am trying to say status not “waiting for xx” and status not “waiting for yy”. Right now I can choose one the custome field just once.

Thanks !
Roberto

2 Likes

Hi @RobertoS and welcome to the Community Forum!

As it stands you can create a Query using the “AND” function, however, our Advanced Search doesn’t support “OR”. I’d recommend adding your vote here; on my end, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread, just to gather all feedback on this topic on one single thread.

Regarding your second question, I recommend checking our API, although I’m not sure it will allow you to set up the filters you’re looking for. If you have any follow-up question on this topic, feel free to write a post in the #developersAPI category, our API experts will be in a better position to help you.

And last but not least custom fields: as it stands you can only filter projects with one custom field, although I completely understand how useful it would be; hopefully this is something we can implement in the future!

3 Likes

Hi Marie,
The OR feature on values in the same Custom Field would be massively useful for us.
Kind regards,
Kevin

1 Like

There are things to love about Asana’s Advanced Search. But not having the ability to do “or” operators, or select different items from the same list really hinders our abilities.

I have tried everything I can think of to accomplish some things I need to do. I have tried creating custom fields, but then I’m limited to picking one, any, all, none. Where what I really need is to be able to select each custom field parameter by checking it on or off. I even tried creating multiple custom fields that are basically the same field replicated 4 times, but because the search uses AND only, it means the item has to fall under ALL conditions.

Please, add the ability to select multiple individual custom field parameters, and allow us to set whether it should be included as an AND or and OR operator.

So for example, let’s say I have 3 custom fields. The first has 3 parameters, the second has 4 parameters, and the third has 6 parameters.

And I want a report showing:
Parameter 1 from custom field 1
AND Parameters 1 & 4 form custom field 2
OR Parameters 1, 3, 4, 5 from custom field 3.

or I may just want:
Parameter 2 form CF1
OR
Parameter 4 from CF2
OR
Parameter 3 from CF3

And I think within a custom field (parameters), they would always be an “OR” operator. I’m not sure it could even be an AND in that case.

2 Likes

Any updates on this topic?

Maybe some of you know a workaround or if there is an update to the advanced search function planned.

Our usecase:
We set up 5 status options for our tasks’ “status” field.
I’d like to create an advanced search that looks for tasks that have either
no status selected
or
status a)
selected.

Currently, it seems like my only option is to create two advanced searches because I can only set status criteria once and it’s not possible to do multiple selections there.

1 Like

Having an or operator would also be very beneficial for the searches and reports we are using

Is there any way to use an NOT operator in search? We would like to save advanced searches with negations - e.g.

• creator is not personX
  • project is not in [projectX, projectY]
  • assignee is not personX

Hi @Ronald_Findling, this is a great question!

You can use the parameters “Nobody” or “No Project”, please see screenshot below:

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi @Emily_Roman thats very interesting to know indeed, but not completely my use case as I’m interested in filtering for A specific project/person is not assigned whereas your suggestion is no project/person is assigned at all.

Oh I see! Sorry for the confusion, @Ronald_Findling! :woman_facepalming: the parameter you mention is currently not available. I’ve gone ahead and moved this thread to the Product Feedback category to allow other users to upvote. I hope this helps!

Please upvote this task if you want better search functions

1 Like

Just, facepalm, that this was not there from day one. And still isn’t.

I’ve just had a very useful chat with your support team, where a colleague explained that this wasn’t yet on the cards.

But offering users a simple switch ‘Match all these criteria’/‘Match at least one criterion’ as part of the Advanced Search interface would allow us to vastly expand the options for searches. For example, we could search for tasks that either start or end in a given time period (say, this week).

Technically, this is what the ‘Any’ option already offers for some of these search criteria.

So, :pray: :pray: :pray: ! And thank you for an already terrific product! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!

When I try to “Advanced search” I usually fill in the fields “projects” and “tags” so I can narrow down what I am looking for. What I have noticed is that if I add two tags the results I get are all the tasks that have these two or either one of these tasks.
Can you add a feature where there are options as to HOW to treat tags when searching.
Example.
Show results of tasks that have BOTH these tags
Show results of tasks that have either of these tags

I would like to be able to query tasks from multiple projects using different filter criteria and combine the results into a single saved search. adding AND & OR functions to search will allow multiple search criteria to meet this need.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback, @anon50770217!

We do have an existing thread in the #productfeedback category for this request. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback, I hope you don’t mind!

Hopefully this is something our Product team implements in the near future. I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Strongly agree