Update Advanced Search - AND / OR Functionality

Hi, I’m trying to create an advanced search that will give me my tasks that are due through the next five day OR start in the next five days. Not all our tasks have start dates, so I can’t just use the start date field. Currently I have two reports, but I’d love to have one (as that functions as my “to do” list).

Thanks
Gina

1 Like

Indeed the advanced search does not have the ability create requests with operators like “OR”. You can upvote Update Advanced Search - AND / OR Functionality

I am in agreement that and/or functionality is important! I feel like I’m missing the ability to customize some key reports for my team that could make our standup meetings more effective.

Someone mentioned above that and is an option, but I’m having trouble finding a resource that outlines how.

For context, I’m looking to create a custom search that provides the following results:

• all team members
  • all projects
  • incomplete
  • due today or tomorrow
    AND
  • task with a custom field containing in progress, pending approval, waiting on external partners
  • task with start date that aligns with current date

The goal is to have one report show everything that our team is actively working on.

(Unfortunately just running a report for custom fields that show “in progress” won’t work because I have some very minimally engaged Asana users who are not interested in changing their behaviour.)

1 Like

Hi everyone and thanks for advocating for this feature! We appreciate your comments and feedback on this thread.

I’m happy to announce an exciting enhancement to our search functionality! Today, we are introducing support for a range of powerful search operators, including +, -, " ", |, and * for text searches :tada:

With these new search operators, you now have greater control and precision over your Asana searches. Whether you’re refining your query with specific terms, excluding certain results, or searching for exact phrases, these enhanced search capabilities empower you to find exactly what you’re looking for more efficiently!

Please note this update is available to all customers. We will keep this post updated if we have any plans to implement further enhancements to AND/OR in the Advanced Search!

4 Likes

Pretty nice to hear, that you implemented the operators for the search bar. Working fine for me.
Is there a possibility to use the placeholder “*” in the beginning of a term to do a postfix query?
Would be another great update to the searchbar!

Hi @Tobias_Engelke, welcome to our Community Forum! This is not possible yet, but I’d recommend creating a new post for this specific request in our Product Feedback section so you and other users can upvote it :slight_smile:

Others can now vote at this topic @Tobias_Engelke has created:

Thanks,

Larry