Universal Reporting 📊 is out! Here is my first take on it

:mega:Did you hear folks?!?!
A universal reporting tab :bar_chart: is out now with Asana. So you can product charts combining the joys from all your projects and portfolios in one go. Why? Because to progress with factual based decisions, you need clarity
 and clarity can only come when you have a one stop shop for the health of your workload.

Let’s dive :diving_mask:into few things with this feature:

:one:Creating a dashboard is dead easy. Simply click on the tab and start playing with the charts.
Note: if you want to delete a dashboard, you need to edit it and then select the delete button. You are unable to delete it from the landing page. Something worth considering.

:two:Create all the charts you need and then start thinking of the layout. Why? because if you have only 3 charts, the layout will fill itself up row by row. You cannot keep the first row with one chart and move to the second row. At least I did not figure out how to.

:three:When you are planning your dashboard, allow for some time to think :thinking: of what info you want to share.
Start slow. At the moment, there is no option to duplicate a report after creating it. So do not let the excitement run wild with creating so many options that you will not refer to in the future. I personally would like the option to duplicate from these 3 dots.

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 12.09.53

:books:So what scenarios would you need to have such dashboard ready:
â“”Overview of multiple projects for the same team and the breakdown of:

• their task count
  • their task status
  • their progress - or any custom field you have designed in common for both projects

⓶Do you track time or financials? you can report on numbers of a project or a portfolio

⓷Showing the workload of the team and helping ease the pressures from the busiest - most assigned individuals - such reports bring on the visibility and opens the discussion

And remember, delivering a message is far more clearer when visuals are used. So let the simple visuals here aid you rather than just talking at your audience.

Have you start playing with universal reporting yet? what are your takes on it? and what are the first chart types you started using??

of course you can read all about it at the blog here:

8 Likes

Excellent recap and tips, @Rashad_Issa! Thanks for sharing!

determined_climbers_320

2 Likes

Universal Reporting is awesommmmeeeee

1 Like

Cool. I think it’s a nice start, but unfortunately falls short for us. Here’s why:

We need to estimate workload, per client (tracked by a custom number column in all projects) for each upcoming month. For example, Client X gets 100 hours per month of our teams time. We schedule projects and tasks with time estimates and need a way to see the estimated total for the upcoming month. Pretty straightforward, yes? Unfortunately, Universal Reporting can’t do it, because:

1. UR can’t filter projects in/out (like you can in advance search) - This would allow us to sum up estimates per client.
  2. UR can’t filter by “next month”, whatever “next month” is. I.e. It’s currently June, so next month is July. It can only filter by relative time which basically means the calculation is useless for us for this use case.
  3. UR (or advanced search) can’t extrapolate numbers proportionate to task timelines. I.e. Task A is scheduled from May 29th - June 2nd (5 days) and is estimated to take 10 hours (custom number column). Simple math 10 hours / 5 days = 2 hours per day. So if the ability to filter by “Next Month” is ever added, I need Asana to be able to do this calculation so that the report would show 6 hours for May and 4 hours for June.

I don’t mean to rain on the parade and I am planning on digging deeper into this new feature to see if there are other parts of our business in which it could be useful, but the main thing I was hoping it could do, it can’t so I’m posting it here in hopes that the use case resonates and it could be added.

3 Likes

Hi @Brian_Gotts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You have mentioned some really valid user cases for the usability of this feature.
I think for me, I approach these new features in a slightly different mindset.

As it is the first release, does it give a level of visibility that I could not get before which made me create my own reports? If the answer is yes, then I am already on a winning journey.

Point 1 - I did not understand what you meant by projects in/out - if you can share a bit more, I can look at it and see if I have something similar I work with.

Point 2 and Point 3 are brilliant requirements and would be of such added value for the feature. I would suggest creating separate product feedback so we can start tracking voting and more user cases on it to provide to Asana.

And do not worry about my parade, it takes a lot for it to rain on it :wink: Thanks for providing your user cases :raised_hands:

1 Like

Is there a chart that will show number of subtasks for a certain timeframe?

1 Like

Hey @Robin_Long
welcome to the community!

Great question, and the answer is yes!
Once you decide on the main factor of the chart, click next, scroll to the bottom and you can add a filter.
You can select subtasks as a filter. On the same page where you can select this filter you can decide on the date range you want to show: for example: incomplete for the next 6 weeks or so.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I am however, having a second issue. When I try to look at all of my complete tasks, they stop in July 2020. There is no recent data. Do you know why that would happen?

Hi Brian! I may be misunderstanding here, but wanted to give it a shot - have you used the Workload view in Portfolios? It sounds like the agency I work for has a similar use case to yours - We currently assign out projects a month in advance and do so by assigning hours per task/ per assignee and then hop over to the Workload view to see how each individual’s bandwidth appears (we have some cases where we view it based on select clients/ projects and another case where we view an overall “global” Portfolio that includes ALL work estimated so we can be sure that individuals that work on multiple clients aren’t accidentally scheduled to work more than 8 hours per day/ 40 hours per week).

I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

:star_struck:This is great.

:thinking:would it be possible to add a scroll to the right feature for charts that contain more X-axis fields than what is visible. Currently there is a ‘+19 more’ Options but this takes you to a huge list which impossible to use.

Use case: We have lots of clients projects. We have created a reports to see projects with outstanding tasks. We can only see the 1st 12.

:thinking:Also loving the colours but could you add a splash of colour to the number reports. The fade away in to the background. As a work around we are using Doughnut with a single filter.

Keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have not noticed the limitation of 12. Great feedback @Robert_Tucker

can you pretty please make it so we can also make charts out of tags information?

Thanks for your feedback, @Victoria_Schupp! We don’t have immediate plans to add tags to Charts in Dashboards, we usually recommend custom fields for your reports. In the meantime, you can upvote for this feature here: Dashboard/report tasks by tag in a project We will share any updates in that thread if we have news in the future!

Hi @Rashad_Issa - You mentioned in scenario ② above - tracking time and that we can report on numbers of a project or portfolio.

I’m trying to grab the information that I can get from workload view of the capacity of a person and create a report in my dashboard that will have a 30, 60, and 90 day view ahead.

I can grab hours, but is there a way to show how that compares to capacity as we see in the workoad view?

I’d like this info to appear on my dashboard:
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.59.50 AM

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hey @Paula_Holsberry

This is a very valid point. At this stage, and to my own understanding, the only way you can reflect the capacity in the reporting feature is by using the pre-built resourcing charts.

I will try and play around with the set up of new charts and see what I can come up with. But my initial feeling is that this is a feature that would require development.

One of the areas Asana should be working on, is the availability of different types of reports in different areas with the platform. I have requested a dev feature here: Integrating Project Dashboards with Project Status

But will certainly test and see if I can come up with any workaround for your request and will let you know if I were successful.

Rashad

1 Like

This exact comment right here brought me into the forum today. I desperately need to see the ‘+29 more’ projects to the invisible right side of the chart. I mean, well done guys, but this right here, c’mon. This needs to be fixed fast.

Huge limitation for businesses with lots of client’s projects. Data driven insights aren’t complete without being able to view the entire options in the chart.

Thanks @Robert_Tucker for flagging this one.

Hi! I’m new to Asana premium. Seeking guidance on how to create an advanced search for all tasks in an organization (all projects) sorted by assignee by project. I took a quick shot, and finding that not all projects are delineated in the project field.

I am trying to find how I can run a report in the archive folder that includes subtasks. Is this possible?

Hello @Judy_Whitehead unless I am missing something, this is a very simple task. just go to reporting, and create a new dashboard and select the chart type you wish and do not select any project, add a filter for subtasks, and you will get the report you need.