Unfollow All Subtasks

I was asked by a coworker to create one of her projects for her in Asana, as a favor because she was too busy to get it done. Our project template uses tasks as line items for all the products in a given job (we’re a millwork manufacturer), so a task may be titled “Coffee Bar” or “Checkstand” or “Customer Service”. We use subtasks to manage individual deliverables for each product. In our case, these deliverables are “preliminary draft”, “engineering”, “verification”, “release to shop”, etc.

So when I created this project for her, which has over 100 products, each of which has its own set of subtasks, I was automatically a collaborator for all the tasks. No problem, I just shift-clicked the whole list and clicked “unfollow” so that I wouldn’t get email notifications for her project. Here’s the problem: I’m also automatically a collaborator of every subtask, so I’m being notified every time there’s activity on those, so I’m getting emails by the ton for a project that isn’t mine. Is there a way to batch unfollow all the subtasks in a project? To go down the list and click unfollow for every subtask will take me ages.

Thanks in advance!

Use Advanced Search. Specify project in question, and you’ll be presented not only with tasks but also all subtasks.

1. Search → Advance Search → In Projects → provide project name
  2. Select All
  3. Unfollow

Additionally if it is too much, you can narrow the search to only subtasks, or created by me or Creation Date (to specific date when you did that).

3 Likes

Perfect! Thanks so much!

1 Like

This solution no longer seems to work. Is there a new solution to unfollow a project?

+1 - Advance Search does not have Unfollow options.

It does look like removing yourself from the project should stop notifications.

Once you select the tasks you can click 2 times on the follow bell on the bottom right. I just tried it and it worked flawlessly for me.

On the other hand if you remove yourself from the project and the other user is using different version of Asana (lets say you have Business and she has Basic) there might be some functionalities that wont work, like rules for example.

I hope this helps :sunglasses:

Follow/unfollow all subtasks is not working upon clicking 2 times on the follow bell.