UI change - Project tabs/buttons in tasks pushed down

@Marie, youā€™re making the same mistake again. TAB+P is for editing, not for reading. See this post: UI change - Project tabs/buttons in tasks pushed down - #209 by Tom_Sopwith
And about the post of @louis, she said we would get used to it. Itā€™s now 9 months later, but it still frustrates me and costs me unnecessary time. To bad Asana is still not listening to the many customers that shouted out to you.

3 Likes

I hope the tags and project fields get moved back to the top as well!

3 Likes

Seconding Paulā€™s pointā€¦to force every user to (a) enter an editing mode, and (b) make two extra keystrokes (TAB-P to view and another keystroke to escape), to be able to simply read a key element of metadata, i.e. the name(s) of project(s), is not a good design.

The fact that Asana promotes ā€œmulti-homingā€ tasks, i.e. putting them into multiple projects, as the only possible way to be able to see those tasks in different project views, means that project association takes on even more urgency. If I want to pull a few items from the Panda teamā€™s main tracking project into my Groundhog project, so I can collaborate effectively with Panda, the only way I can do so is to add each Panda task of interest to the Groundhog project. So already, I am editing a task, when in fact I would much prefer to be just an observer, for reasons of data integrity (sometimes my fingers slip) and courtesy (it feels off to be editing other peopleā€™s tasks).

If I am so gung ho on thoroughly applying Asana, I want those Panda milestones in several of my projects (Walrus, Hamster, Budgerigar)ā€¦so now I am forced to add a string of project names to somebody elseā€™s tasks. And they have to look through all my added project names, looking for the ones of interest to them. (cringe)

Asana, at times I wonder if you understand the scale and complexity of the world your customers inhabit. Asana is our tool, not our fulltime hobby. We trust you with our data. Sorting and filtering are not special requests that should have to be specially pled for, field by field and value by value. Seeing data in a different view should not require the routine alteration of key metadata. Data should always be readable in read mode (not forcibly edit mode). Please consider this.

7 Likes

To add to Stephanieā€™s points, if anyone integrates with Everhour for time tracking you know adding an ASANA task to multiple projects is a nightmare for calculating time spent and creating time cards! I never do that and it does limit my
ability to track tasks in multiple areas. Iā€™ve started using tags but I know that doesnā€™t work for everyone.

I would like to add one other thing ā€¦ why, oh why, arenā€™t items sorted alphabetically by default (like dashboards, left menu, etc). I appreciate that I can drag and drop but canā€™t there be an option at least to sort alphabetically everywhere?
As a former developer, and a manager of developers, this is something I stress all the time. Who wants to see lists that have no discernible order?

3 Likes

One key phrase on this item stands out to me. You mentioned, ā€œWhen we looked to simplify the top part of the Task Pane, we decided to include the actions were taken most frequently by Asana users.ā€ I think that has, potentially, a fundamental flaw. Thereā€™s a big difference between ā€œthe actions taken most frequentlyā€ and ā€œthe data referenced most frequently.ā€ I donā€™t take actions on things like the project assignment very often, but I do refer to that information constantly. Being able to see the right information at a glance, with nothing pushed down below the bottom of the screen, except for data that would naturally continue beyond the bottom of the screen (ie, the description), would be vital.

11 Likes

Thanks @Marie for the Hint. I installed the extension from @ShunS but it does not make any changes with the ui :frowning: using latest chrome build.

1 Like

What i am wondering is that all the stuff from asana using asana does not miss the projects at the top. Perhaps you do not write anything in the discription field - with this it is the only way that the Position at the bottom is Ok.

2 Likes

Thanks @OSTMOST for installing my extension! Could you try reloading the Asana page for the extension to take effect? If it still doesnā€™t work, please report it from the Chrome Web Store extension page or the extension page on Asana Community:

Update:
Iā€™ll release a new version 1.7.0 today. From that version, Iā€™ll make the extension to automatically take effect when the extension is installed or updated. Thanks for the feedback!

Good point! I train staff to not use long task names and put the explanation of the task in the description.

I understand yours and other forum managersā€™ insistence on using the shortcuts here, but itā€™s not even remotely the same.

Itā€™s like weā€™re being punched in the face and youā€™re just telling us to put our hands up to block it. Sure, weā€™re no longer being punched in the face, but now weā€™re being punched in our hands. Itā€™s only so long until it starts to hurt again. Remove the offending problem instead of telling us to adapt.

Good UI/UX design works around how humans behave. It doesnā€™t force them to adapt to its own flaws.

7 Likes

Hey @louis!

I hope you are well! Thank you for taking the time to explain the logic behind your decision-making. I trust that your goal is to continue to build Asana as the best-possible project management software on the market. I have a thought for you: what if you gave users the choice in Advanced Preferences for how to control the layout of this section in question? I understand that you need to institute uniformity wherever possible. Structured options may help to serve your users at large here, so that users can choose the layout order. It could be as simple as a binary flag to provide an alternate order of these fields, or as complex as a drag-and-drop customizer interface that lets users customize their workspace based on what is best for them. There is a lot of gold here in these ideas ā€“ itā€™s just the tip of the iceberg. I encourage you to weigh the options and consider the benefits that will come from this. Feel free to reach out to discuss more.

Thanks!
Josh

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m happy to share with you that as part of our latest task pane update, the project field is officially moving back above the task description! :tada: For all details regarding this update, check out Weā€™re updating our Task pane!
Thanks again for sharing your feedback and for your patience, we hope you enjoy this new update and we look to hear what your feedback in the announcement post!

Please note this update is currently available to 50% of our customers; weā€™re planning to roll it out to all our customers within the next couple of days.

6 Likes

This is great news Marie! Iā€™m seeing it already. It is a big improvement. Please thank the dev team for listening to us.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really happy about this change! I can safely drop the feature from my extension.
Thank you for listening to our voices :tada:

2 Likes