Tracking budget across projects

Hi there,

I am a project manager and I receive yearly an annual budget to run multiple projects in parallel.
Currently I am tracking what budget I allocate to each project in an excel file, including the month it will be spent and the status of the invoicing (purchase order raised, good receipt posted, invoice received).
My goal is to make sure that

1. I can allocate budget by project per month
  2. I know how much budget I have left per month/year and for which projects
  3. I know how much budget I have spent in total for a certain project

I was wondering if someone had found a clever way of managing this in Asana directly.

Let me know :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @CharlieGurtner, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

We have some examples shared by other customers, you can have a look here:

I hope this helps! Let’s also see what other customers can share with you here as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Emily_Roman
I checked those topic, but it does not cover tracking budget spent across multiple projects.

My use case is that I want to know how much I have spend on each project and compare it with my total budget to make sure I do not go over or underspend.

Cheers

5 Likes

I second this. I have been trying out Everhour with Asana but I’m looking for a template or something that would allow these two to work for project budgets.

2 Likes

I’m also looking for a way to pull the budget information from projects (custom fields) into a portfolio view to see budget spends across projects all at once. Also wish we could figure out a way to integrate simple budgeting into projects: Budget Amount, Actual Amount, Difference (this should be able to calculate automatically). Budgets are project management 101 and really should be high priority for Asana.

6 Likes

Question for you Charlie, did you ever get an answer to this, or figure it out? I have asked Asana sales person this 3 different times, and never really got a straight answer. I have to assume someone will have thought how to do this as soooo many businesses are looking for this functionality. Anyways, would love to hear if you figured it out.

HI Charlie, I hope you are well. I am new to Assana but I am really want to way to forecast my budget and track it against actual cost. Did you receive any resolution to your enquiry?

Now with time tracking, I think it would be a total game changer to add budgets to projects.

We are a company that work with client budgets in hours. So I need to calculate the remaining budget and total remaining budget of all projects to see how much work we have left for the team.

3 Likes

Anything on this yet? Would love to be able to track ebitda and revenue between client projects

Have you found a solution for this or an integration?

Following for an update as this applies to me as well!

Not really.

We solve this by creating a section “Budget” where we add a task (or sometimes multiple tasks if the project is funded with several funders) with the budget in hours set in the estimated time field (so it won’t mess up our reports about performance).

Than we create a widget (number) on the dashboard that shows the sum of estimated time in the section “Budget”.

We also have a widget that shows us the sum of the action time written, so we know how much we have budgeted and how much we’ve used.

1 Like

Are you struggling with managing your budget?

Hi! I’m a part of a small team of software developers, and we’re wondering how we can help Asana users manage their budgets.

We would love to hear about your experience and prepared a short form for you. It should take 5-10min.

Click here to share your story.

Your input is vital, and we appreciate your time and expertise.

Thanks!