Track time a task spent in each column

I have a project in Asana set up as a Kanban board with column denoting different phases from Backlog → Scoping → Dev Ready → In Progress → QA → Released (for example). To track overall progress and performance, I want to measure how long an issue/task is in each column (e.g. how long a new issue goes from the Backlog to being DevReady, etc. Suggestions?

4 Likes

This feature is available in JIRA. If a task stays in the same column for a few days, you can see since how many days it hasn’t moved from that column.

In Asana, it would be helpful if we had similar feature.

As an immediate fix, it would be helpful if Asana allowed us to sort the Tasks in the project by Date Created OR Date Modified, so that we can see oldest first or newest first in the board. That way we can focus on what has been on the board the longest.

@Asana is this something we can have in near future?

I currently do a csv export from Asana into Google Sheets and create pretty extensive dashboards, but as far as dates go, can only track creation, completion and due dates. It does NOT allow me to track how long an item has been in a particular column/phase. It would be nice if custom filters were available to highlight issues that have not moved in n days – perhaps even multiple filters; e.g. issues that haven’t moved in 10 days and issues that haven’t moved in over 14 days…

Hi @CLucas there is no current way in Asana to replicate this.

Agree it would be a great feature to have in Asana. So people can vote on this feature I have moved it to the Product Feeback section…

Jason…

Thanks for moving this thread to the #productfeedback category @Jason_Woods! I’ve gone ahead and renamed it to make it more discoverable to other folks in the community!

1 Like

Greetings! Has such function appeared? Very relevant)

Hi,

How can I see days in column for each tasks in my kanban board?

Hey @Simon_Knudsen,

do you mean My Tasks sorted per days?

You can do the same in every project to switch to calendar view.

Or are you referring to something else?

No.
Example: I have a project in Asana set up as a Kanban board with column denoting different phases from Backlog → Scoping → Dev Ready → In Progress → QA → Released. To track overall progress and performance, I want to measure how long an issue/task is in each column (e.g. how long a new issue goes from the Backlog to being DevReady, etc. Suggestions?

Ah okay now I understand.

I recommend upvoting this existing thread here: Track time a task spent in each column

Here is a discussion on this topic as well: Tracking progress of task across columns

And here is a recommendation for a tool which allows you to see what you are asking for

@Andrea_Mayer

Its almost a year old and its still not fixed. Not sure why this basic stuff is not already built into Asana.

I doubt anything will happen if I upvote or not.

Guess I have to check if Monday.com got this.

There is a way to get a report to know the amount of time between each stage of my project?

Not yet indeed, some external dashboarding solutions offer this when plugged to Asana.

1 Like

Hi @Lucas_Arnaudo, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

This capability hasn’t been built out just yet. Hopefully this is something we will see in the future.

That said, I’m going to move this post to #productfeedback so folks in the community can upvote it and so our developers can get a better look at the needs of our members :slight_smile:

Hey folks! I currently track our editorial calendar using Asana (each article = 1 task, stages of that article are tracked via a status dropdown) and we’re looking to optimize how long it takes for content to go from “idea” to “complete”. I’d love to find a way to easily (read: automatically) calculate the time elapsed between those two stages (ideally without building a custom dashboard in Tableau or Power BI and using that integration). Has anyone built similar reporting?

Hey @alliebeazell welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I recommend upvoting here: https://forum.asana.com/t/count-the-amount-of-time-between-stages/151438?u=andrea_mayer and Track time a task spent in each column

Screenful for example offers what you are looking for.

1 Like

Hi everyone! :wave:

We would like to first thank everyone for sharing all your feedback, workarounds, and input for this new feature. Most importantly, thank you for your patience, as we know this has been a popular request among our Community and customers.

Today I’m delighted to share we’re introducing the ability to measure time with these new values: Time in Custom Field and Time in Section. This enables more visibility into how your team’s work has been going, so you can diagnose and fix issues or trends.

We hope that this new feature will provide additional insight on your current processes to ensure that you and your team are spending your time efficiently and prioritizing what needs to be worked on.

7 Likes

Is this already available for everyone?
thanks!

Hey Bastien! Yes this is out to all users now :slight_smile:

2 Likes