Timeline sorting by custom field

When viewing the timeline, I want to sort tasks by custom field so that the custom field can be used as swimlanes.

See this gif from the Timeline article for reference:

6 Likes

YES! I really want this feature as well.

4 Likes

I would love the ability to filter the project timeline by a custom field. We have have the Action Plan for the year, for our department, in Asana that we present in a Quarterly Business Review each quarter. Being able to filter the Timeline by the Custom field we have for “Team” would be easier visually to present but to do that we need the ability to filter by a custom field (for us Team).

6 Likes

We need filter parity with list view. We bring several programs into a common “sprint” backlog planning session. In list view we are able to filter on a custom field (ie program/team name) to have focused conversations. Need same for timeline view.

3 Likes

Aside from default sections to be on the timeline, please add an option to change sections the available dropdown view option. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @Rolando_Evaristo! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Timeline sorting by custom field to centralize feedback. We don’t have news about this feature yet but I’ll keep you posted!

2 Likes

I would be keen to just show a custom field on the timeline. That would make me happy

I see in this thread that some suggestions for filtering by a field on the timeline have been merged with this suggestion for timeline sorting by a custom field. I’d like to note that filtering by a custom field and sorting by a custom field are quite different, especially if one wants to maintain their current sort order (including “none”) while also filtering by a different field. I’d suggest these two different (albeit related) suggestions be separated into two different product feedback threads for separate voting. Thanks.

3 Likes

We would love this features as well.

We use the timeline to visualize big upcoming events in our company. It would be great to sort these events by priority :slight_smile:

We used to use toggl plan to see a gantt style view of tasks on every employee but have had issues with it sycing to Asana.

I have managed to create a view that i am happy with by adding tasks from each project into a separate project that contains every task and then using the timeline view.

I can then filter by assignee and sort by days. This is working great but i can not quickly see the number of hours assigned to each employee, each day. We used a custom field for this but i can only see it when clicking on the task.

Is there anyway we can get custom fields to show on the timeline, listed under the due date would be great.

Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi @ScottJackson, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! We do have an existing thread for this request so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the near future - I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

Is there any update or progress on this request? I’m still looking for a way to show the timeline sorted by a custom field. Specifically I want a text field to use for a person’s name and then show a swimlane for each person, just like the Assignee but for users who don’t have a license.

1 Like

Sorting and filtering the Timeline by custom fields is critical. Without it custom fields cannot be easily used as a key part of an issue’s structure. Any word on this important usability feature?

Would love to be able to dynamically change the swimlanes/sections on a timeline within a project by a field. Being forced to use sections is cumbersom

Example:
View timeline by a field listing “Products”.
The timeline swim lanes are grouped by that field.

View timeline by a field listing “Task Status”.
The timeline swim lanes are grouped by that field.

Hi,

I believe this is the same request Timeline sorting by custom field @Rebecca_McGrath or @Emily_Roman will probably merge your post there.

1 Like

Any news on this feature?

Adding a bit more context. The color option by customer field is not useful when we have multi select fields… For example I plan a campaign and select all the channels it will go live on through a multi select filter. How amazing would it be that the timeline view provides me with a view by channel (all campaigns that selected this channel).

Very interested in this topic as this would solve a lot of problems. Is there any update on this?

Any update on this topic?

I would also really like to be able to do this so that I can show the spread of projects across priorities, not just assignees.