Timeline for nested portfolios

We have many projects with multiple teams, where we want to have one single roadmap view of all our project work for a quarter. We can easily create roadmaps within each portfolio - but our leadership wants 1 single view of all the teams. The best way we found was to create a portfolio with our portfolio work listed as projects in 1 portfolio view. However we need the ability to create several sub tasks. Is there a way to do this? Utilizing the one subtask section and milestones is not working.

Or is there a way to have multiple portfolios create 1 roadmap view?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Hi @anon19149560, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Have you looked into Nested Portfolios? It is possible to add multiple portfolios to a single parent portfolio! Have a look at the update below - this might be helpful :slight_smile:

Yes I know about nested portfolios but it doesn’t allow me to have the timeline view when you have multiple portfolios inside a portfolio. I want the roadmap view of multiple portfolios in 1 single view. Is this possible?

6 Likes

Hi @anon19149560, thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, timeline for Nested Portfolios isn’t available at this time but is our on Product teams radar!

I’ll keep you updated here if our Product team makes any changes :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’d also really benefit from being able to use Timeline View for nested portfolios. Our portfolios align to different workstreams that each have multiple projects under them and as a leader I need a way to see all work in one place along a Timeline View to better plan resourcing and load balancing.

6 Likes

+1 to nested portfolios in the timeline. Portfolios are helpful for organizing a group of projects around an initiative. And being able to see this abstracted level of organization on the timeline among other portfolios or projects would be tremendously helpful for planning and transparency.

2 Likes

I would also really benefit from having a timeline view of portfolios within portfolios.

2 Likes

I would really love to utilize a timeline for portfolios within a portfolio. It would be beneficial for viewing the overview timeline of different teams that are responsible for different features which also have multiple projects inside it.

2 Likes

Hi there,
I have run into the same issue as the original question. I have to provide executives with a timeline for a nested portfolio of my entire PM team (timeline view of portfolios within portfolios.)
Any updates for this issue? If not, is there a work around.
The lack of this function really curtails the use of Asana within my organization, where we have over 250 projects running concurrently. Thanks

2 Likes

Our team would also benefit from a timeline view of portfolios that include nested portfolios. This feels like a massive limitation of the impact of portfolios to build a roadmap or a high-level project management, Gantt style view.

4 Likes

I have just been asked about this very thing by our CIO.

3 Likes

Hello!
Checking in to see if we have a solution yet for this in 2023 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checking in to see if there is any update on this feature? Being able to see a usable timeline across portfolios / multiple projects?

1 Like

I too am also requesting support for nested portfolio timelines. Functionality for nested portfolios feels very limited, considering the last Asana member update on this topic is from 2 years ago.

Hopefully it would be straightforward from a UX point of view, and I would be more than happy to accept view limitations as long as it gave a survey view of things. This combined with the dashboard would give the level of resolution required - of course with the ability to drill down into the projects / sub-portfolios as needed.

1 Like

Here to echo the same interest as others have noted above. I came up with an idea but have not tested it out. What if we create a single and separate portfolio to house all of the individual projects? Because there is the ability to link a single project to multiple projects in theory this should work…right? Has anyone ever tried this out?

This would be extremely helpful for presenting to upper management. Please move this up in your priority for future development.

Any update on when this will be implemented?