Time Reporting, actual time spent by assignee "quick solution" for small teams

Hey everyone

This is my actual first time after so many years of being an Asana user and Partner.

My area of expertise has been working with small teams providing quick wins they can implement without the complexity that comes with creating systems to work better with less time spent.

For the past 2 months, I’ve been working with a few of my clients doing testing on their reporting so that they can stop using tools like Harvest and roll out the complete use of Asana’s time tracking.

The problem they are facing is getting good reporting, specially reporting per assignee, the problem is when we are trying to get reporting for Actual time spent on a project or a task per assignee, it changes to creator, and often time (most of the time :no_mouth:) the Creator of a task is not the actual Assignee of the task, so in less than an hour I built a “quick solution” while we wait to get a fixed on this from Asana :pray:.

I have made this 8 min video explaining how the end result looks like, I hope this can help someone else with the same issue!

:fire:

2 Likes

Hi @Barbara_Ramirez,
Is there a way to make a search that allow to see all task complited within some period of time in project / team.

We are used to make such saved search as a reports to our clients. We have been using custom time filed (Number type) with time entered manually.

If there is a way for it - for my team is one lest tool to use (we were using toggl and Clockify for now) but it would be great to have this kind of reports in asana,

As I continue to use the time tracking feature with Asana and build time reports for my clients I notice there is a lot missing since the launch of this feature that I hope Asana can improve soon.

Today I want to share 3 quick solutions we have implemented for our clients that you could try out.

What we like (and don’t) about this feature so far:
:+1: Tracking time and shifting between tasks is more accessible than other time-tracking tools like Harvest (the most common among my clients).
:+1: There is no need to pay for an additional tool to track the time.
:-1: Dashboards won’t allow you to select the “task list” like the other charts do in Asana - you’ll need to categorize tasks (all tasks) to get a chart that gives you this information > :one:
:-1: If you are an agency there is no way to know the billable and non-billable time per client/project - unless you categorize what is billable and not > :two:
:-1: After 24 hours of time entered, charts will give you the information in weeks and days - so you need to get creative to have dashboards in place for everything you need to know > :three:

Solutions we have provided to our clients:
:one: We have improved a custom field we set up for our clients named “Task Type”, that began with a template we have and then we personalize it based on the client’s industry. With that, we were able to categorize all tasks to create a dashboard that provides the information needed from our client’s requests: A dashboard that presents the time tracked per task type.

:warning: This is not a solution for a larger team (a team with more than 20 people working with Asana), because of the way the dashboards Asana presents now for the time entered, for our clients we set up a while ago portfolios for each project lead, so is easier for each of them to have their own time report, but ideally Asana should have a better solution that allows an easier way of filtering this information.

:two: Back with custom fields (and not that we use them for so many things), this time to categorize billable and non-billable time for our agency clients. Again this is not a scalable solution, we were able to set it up from the templates we built for our clients, including template tasks, but then when there is a new task that is not part of the processes we have created, the project lead has to categorize them manually.

:three: As mentioned above we have already set up individual portfolios for our clients and their team members, so as a solution we have created, we set up charts that consider the necessary filters so we can see the information easily without having to filter every time an information is needed.

Hope you find this useful.

2 Likes